Will my Nostrils and Tip Drop After Rhinoplasty?

I had an open septo- rhinoplasty 2 mo ago. What is going on with my nostrils? They are more turned up than before surgery. I did not request this. I asked that my profile not be changed. There is swelling between the nostrils as well. There were cartilage grafts put in and this was a primary surgery. Will the "turned up" tip return to normal? Will the addition of cartilage change anything in my outcome? How long does this area take to reduce swelling? Any advice is helpful!

Postoperative Changes and Rhinoplasty

It is very difficult to appreciate any of these changes without a full face photo and comparison to your pre-op nose.  You are smiling as well, and this can change the appearance of the nose. Despite this, it does not look like an overly upturned nose or the nostrils have an improper relationship.  However, if the changes are significantly different from the pre-op appearance, this can be dramatic for you.

Despite the resolution of much of your swelling, two months after a rhinoplasty is not enough to assess your final outcome, so be patient and communicate with your surgeon.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD

Greetings

If you underwent a simple rhinoplasty or correction of nasal tip operation it means that your cartilage or bone structures are not excised. Since the manipulation is minimal; the edema will be minimal also. Nasal buffers will not be applied after these operations but only strip bandages. These strip bandages will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise.

If you underwent rhinoplasty operation in which the bone and cartilage structures are also involved like concha hypertrophy, septum deviation or secondary rhinoplasty; then intranasal buffers will be applied in order to reduce the edema. These intranasal buffers will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Nose upturned after open Rhinoplasty.

An open Rhinoplasty tends to rotate the nasal tip between 5-7 degress IMHO and this should be factored into the risks and benefits of the open approach versus a closed one when performing Rhinoplasty.  Cartilage can be placed almsot anywhere so I'm not sure how to comment on how it affected the look, of your nose, after your Rhinoplasty.  Swelling can last for months after a Rhinoplasty and longer for an open technique that causes further disruption of the nasal lymphatics with the increased amount of skin elevation inherent with the open approach.  As always, it's best to discuss these issues with your Rhinoplasty surgeon.

Post-op rhinoplasty

The photo you submitted is not a good one. Smiling affects the way things will look in a photo.  It is alwyas good to compare pre and post-op photos. Swelling certainly will decrease with time.