Can Nostrils Be "Re-biggened"?

Wife had alar base reduction/ nostril narrowing. Now lower lateral cartilage/ nostril area is consticted. she can't breathe. What procedures/docs can reverse the surgery and constriction? Will tissue grafts be needed?

Doctor Answers 9

Nostrils can be enlarged to improve breathing

Yes, tissue grafts from the ear can be used to widen the alar base. Multiple different tip procedures can be performed to improve airflow through the nose and a make the nostrils look less pinched. This is very complicated and needs to be performed by someone experienced with this type of procedure. Look for a rhinoplasty surgeon who has performed thousands of nose jobs.

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 143 reviews

Enlarging nostrils

Enlarging nostrils is not a popular procedure and often quite difficult without leaving serous scarring. You should definitely be evaluated to see if the narrow nostrils are the cause of your breathing difficulties. 

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Enlarging Nostrils after Rhinplasty

Without  pictures it is impossible to determine the cause your wife's problem and offer suggestions for treatment. See an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon for evaluation of her breathing problem and dicussion of alternative treatments. Best of Luck.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Enlarge nostrils

It is possible to reverse the effects of an alar base reduction. However, this is a very difficult procedure. I would really need to see photos and/or perform an examination to give you the best advice. Please feel free to send photos to my office and I would be happy to take a look at them. You may find my contact information in my profile. Thank you, and best of luck to you.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

nostrils enlarged

Yes, it requires a composite full thickness skin/fat/?cartilage grafts. But there will be scars. Have you discussed with 3 boarded PS in your area?

Dr. B

Darryl J. Blinski, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 173 reviews

Reversing nostril or alar base reduction

While the procedure may be difficult, it can be done and often requires composite grafting with tissue from the ears if both nostrils are too narrow. However, other factors may be causing the breathing issues and you should see a rhinoplasty expert especially one who is experienced in revision rhinoplasties. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

Correction of Breathing Problems After Alarplasty/Nasal Base Reduction

Hi Mr. Higgins,

"Re-biggened"?   Once skin is removed in alar base reduction, it is difficult to "re-big" the alar base even with the use of tissue grafts.  There may be techniques to improve her breathing, but careful examination of her nose is necessary.  Consult with a few rhinoplasty experts.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P 

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Can nostrils be widened after reduction.

There are many reasons why she may have trouble with her airway. See an experienced revision rhinoplasty expert who will give you better information once he has examined the nose.

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Nostrils can be made larger but it is a more dfficult procedure

There are a number of reasons why the nasal airway can become more constricted after Rhinoplasty. It may be too narrow a nostril opening, weakening of support for the  nostril as well as scar tissue. Each has a different treatment; grafts are frequently used from your own tissue. I suggest you see a specialist in revision Rhinoplasty for an opinion.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 125 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.