Will my Nose Stay Crooked?

Had rhinoplasty and my nose is swollen and crooked. Is this normal? Why is this happening? When will it go away?

Crooked nose after rhinoplasty

It is really hard to answer the question without pictures but as far as swelling, an open rhinoplasty will nit settle completely for a year or more. Closed rhinoplasty can settle much earlier but you must also be patient before judging the final result. As far as crookedness, your nose is unlikely to straighten more during recovery but pictures would be necessary to advise you further. I hope this helps, All the best, Rian A. Maerckd M.D.

Crookedness after rhinoplasty

It is impossible to comment without knowing how much time has passed since your surgery. In general, recovery after rhinoplasty will vary based on the person, characteristics of the nasal tissues and what was done during surgery. After rhinoplasty, tip shape is typically the last thing to settle before seeing the final result; this can take 12 months or longer. During this time you will notice that the size of your tip decreases as swelling resolves and subtle details and tip definition appear. Additionally, the tip may descend causing the tip to rotate downwards (depending on what was done during surgery). It can take somewhere in and around 12-18 months to see the final results. The areas with thicker skin in the nose such as the tip, alar rims and radix will require longer to settle. Minor tip and alar rim asymmetries can be related to swelling and will continue to change as swelling resolves and scar tissue matures.

It's hard but important to stay patient during your recovery and to be diligent attending your follow-up appointments with your surgeon. However, it is important to remember that rhinoplasty is about obtaining improvement not perfection. This is especially true when having rhinoplasty for the deviated or crooked nose-it is impossible to get a nose completely straight and symmetrical.