Nose Slightly Tilted 5 Weeks After Rhinoplasty? (Photo)

I had surgery to correct my deviated septum and to remove my dorsal hump. My nose now looks great in profile view, but it now looks slightly tilted from the front. I had a steroid shot in the right side of my nose after 3 weeks for swelling, not sure if that is affecting overall symmetry. It is noticeable especially with sun glasses on (I havent been wearing sunglasses, just trying them on at store) , its also a possibility I am focusing too much on this as people probably wont notice

Rhinoplasty - post operative slight deviation

Thank you for your question. Normal noses are typically not perfectly symmetric or situated exactly in the midline. The appearance of your nose is well within normal limits. At 5 weeks postop, you are still within the early phases of healing. Allow for adequate healing before you attempt to judge your result. As you suggest, most people will not notice subtle asymmetry.

Slightly crooked nose

From the frontal view, any deviation is very mild and well within normal expectations. No nose/rhinoplasty result will ever be perfect. Avoid focusing on your nose and you will likely find nobody else notices. Best of luck, Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

ASymmetry of nose

Everyone has some asymmetry and making a nose perfectly straight I would say is pretty impossible due to normal variations from one side of the face to the other.  It is also healing and swollen at this point.

Asymmetry after rhinoplasty

All noses have some asymmetry especially those with deviated septums.  You need to give healing a year before you make a decision on what to do and how much it concerns you.   Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Asymmetry that is likely only noticeable to you and surgeons

It's very unlikely that they amount of asymmetry that you see is noticeable. In fact, asymmetry has to be pretty severe for most people to notice. Look closely at people around you and pay attention to their eyes, eyebrows, ears, etc...All have some measure of asymmetry but can still look good.

Patients are their own worst critics. It is still early in the healing process so your deviation may get better as the swelling continues to subside. You seem like you have a very nice early result.

Michael Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

I dont think most people will notice the asymmetry

Thank you for the question.  While I do see some asymmetry the amount of asymmetry is not significant.  I think most people will not notice.  You will have to decide for yourself once all of the swelling is gone whether the amount of asymmetry that you see is significant enough to try and fix.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Nose Slightly Tilted 5 Weeks After Rhinoplasty?

Dear OC,

Thank you for your post.  You are very early in the healing process and will still have swelling.  Be patient and let all the swelling resolve over 6-12 months.  There is nothing to be done about it at this point, and your right, probably no one else would notice.

Best Wishes,

Pablo PRichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Nose slightly tilted 5 weeks after rhinoplasty?

You will still be experiencing swelling 5 weeks after surgery that can influence the appearance of your final result. In general, 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. The final result may not be evident for 18-24 months after your procedure. I would recommend giving it some time and see how you continue to heal, as your nose will change as the swelling goes down. Your surgeon should be able to answer any questions you have in the meantime. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Too soon to evaluate

Some asymetry in the early postoperative course of a rhinoplasty is certainly not unusual.  At one month, it is too early to assess that issue.  Your nose looks good, and will most likely continue to improve over time.

Nathan E. Nachlas, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon