Can a Nose Made Too Pointy in Primary Rhinoplasty Be Made Fuller Again?

My PS trimmed and sutured my tip too tight and now it looks TOO POINTY for my face. Could I get a revision and use septal grafts too give a little rounder appearance to my tip to have it fit to my face better? He also took out most of my lower lateral cartilage so at certain angles it looks very narrow and pointy. What grafts can be put back in lower lateral cartilage area to give more fullness? (I still have all my septal cartilage- this area wasn't touched-will i have enough for this fix?)

Doctor Answers 9

Revision of "Pointy" Nasal Tip

Over the past 35 years I've used both cartilage and fascia to augment a narrow, pinched, or collapsed tip. You have plenty of donor material to accomplish this.

Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Can a Nose Made Too Pointy in Primary Rhinoplasty Be Made Fuller Again?

Dear Ella,

Depending on how much cartilage is left, the cartilage can be re-arranged to create the desired effect, or cartilage can be harvested from the septum to create these effect.  Strut grafts can be used along the columella, and shield and spreader grafts can be used in the tip/dorsum

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

Revision Rhinoplasty

Dear ella3: Cartilage grafts from the septum or the auricle can be used to revise your nose. If the revision is minor crushed cartilage is an excellent choice. Hope this helps!

Nasal tip too pointy

WIth a nasal tip that is too refined after rhinoplasty, cartilage grafts can be placed to make the tip a bit wider.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Revision Rhinoplasty to Restore Nasal Tip to Fuller Appearance

Hi Ella,

Yes, a revision rhinoplasty using your septal cartilage and if needed ear cartilage can help to improve a nose that has been over operated upon.  You will likely need multiple grafts to restore your nasal tip to a more natural appearance.  Choose your revision rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Overdone pointy rhinoplasty correction.

Overdone pointy rhinoplasty correction can be revised with septal and or ear cartilage. The lateral crura need to be reconstructed and soft tissue used to soften the point if your projection is good. Not a tip or shield graft. Choose a very experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon. 

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Restoring Fullness to the Nasal Tip

Dear ella3,

An overly defined nasal tip can be softened during a revision rhinoplasty procedure. Choosing the best technique (including grafts, etc.) depends on your anatomy, your goals, and what was done during your previous operation.

Please see an experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Facial Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns. It would be helpful to your surgeon if you have the records from your previous operation. 

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

Can a Nose Made Too Pointy in Primary Rhinoplasty Be Made Fuller Again?

 Yes, a conchal cartilage ear graft can re-define and increase the nasal tip when placed as a shield graft.  In fact, this is often done when the tip cartilages have been over-resected causing a pointy, asymmetric, twisted or droopy tip.  

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Softening the nasal tip after an over-aggressive primary rhinoplasty

Cartilage grafts such as alar batten grafts, lateral crural strut grafts, tip-refining grafts, or onlay grafts are all potential options to soften and restore a rounder appearance to an over-resected nasal tip.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 57 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.