Can Any Surgeon Inject Restylane on Nose Bridge?

Can any surgeon use Restylane to make the bridge of my nose taller, or does it need to be someone who specifically does a non-surgical nose job? Thanks.

Doctor Answers 5

Non-surgical Rhinoplasty Restylane in Nose

Hi rossanamendoza,

First, be very careful with any injections into the nose. The nose is very susceptible to color changes, discoloration, swelling, blood flow, pain, numbness, and other potential complications with inappropriate injections into the nose.

There isn't a filler on the market currently that is FDA approved for injection into the nose. Everything is being used off-label. Fillers should never be placed into the tip of the nose, since complications may more likely occur at the nasal tip. Fillers should only placed in the bridge to help smooth contour irregularities and to provide augmentation. Fillers which have been used for nonsurgical rhinoplasty include Radiesse and hyaluronic acids.

As other plastic surgeons have stated, technically any physician could potentially treat a patient by cosmetic injections of Restylane into the nose. However, laws vary by state. Generally, one should be treated by someone who has extensive training & experience with nasal procedures and rhinoplasty, such as plastic surgeons and facial plastic surgeons.

Depending on the specific anatomy of your nose and your desires, I suggest first speaking with a rhinoplasty surgeon who can use computer imaging to simulate rhinoplasty. You'll be able to visualize in real time what possibilities are potentially available. Only after a comprehensive in-person evaluation can a plastic surgeon help determine the appropriate options for you.

Dr. C

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 86 reviews

Its not just surgeons injecting noses.

There been an explosion in the popularity of tissue fillers. And doctors have responded. There are those whom one would expect, Otolayngolgists, Plastic Surgeons and Facial Plastic surgeons. Dermatologists are also involved,although surgoens feel its their understanding of the sub surface anatomy gives them an edge.  And there arealso Family Doctors who find this attactive and feel the degree of technical skill is within their reach. And with training it is. However if you had a choice between Warren Buffet personally investing your money or a financial planner from your local bank branch; most would chose Mr Buffet.

Oakley Smith, MD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 90 reviews

Experience matters in non surgical nose reshaping or rhinoplasty

Although it is not technically difficult to inject Restylane into the nose, there is a high degree of importance attributed to aesthetic judgement and experience. I would suggest you go to a board certified plastic surgeon who is qualified to perform the procedure and assess your nasal profile.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 94 reviews

Someone with Experience

More and more physicians who inject Restylane are learning how to inject Restylane into the nose. However, at this point I would steer you to someone who has a good deal of experience in this procedure. Not done properly, you might need constant adjustments so it would be smart to go to someone who gets it right the first time.

My personal preferences would be a facial plastic surgeon or en ENT physician who has become a board certilfied plastic surgeon.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist
4.7 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

Non-surgical rhinoplasty

The use of fillers for non-surgical rhinoplasty has been increasing. The use of longer lasting product such as Radiesse may be a better choice for lengthening your nose. A surgeon who performs surgical rhinoplasty also is probably your best choice because he/she may have a better understanding of the aesthetics of rhinoplasty.

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.