My implant surgery is in 7 days (June 23). Im so excited to have them done, but the risks are making me want to back out.

Due to 3 surgeries on my intestines from ulcerative colitis, (including a reversed ostomy) Ive lost 110lbs. My DD's are now a small A cup, and my self confidence is no more. I promised myself after all was said and done (and cleared by my drs) Id get implants to gain my self esteem back, and congratulations to me and what ive been through, now is my time to shine and feel good again. However i cant stay offline, and horror stories about implants are enough to make me back out. What should i do?

Nervous about Upcoming Breast Augmentation #breastaugmentation

• It is common and expected to be nervous about an upcoming operation.
  • Breast augmentation patients are among some of our happiest patients!
  • As you can see on RealSelf, 97% of women who have undergone this procedure feel that it was definitely worth it!
  • Remember, on the internet one can find horror stories about anything and everything! It can be a scary place!
  • Also, for every ten patients who are ecstatic about their breast augmentation results, one might choose to write something about their experience on the internet.  BUT, one unhappy patient will write volumes! Therefore, what ones reads on the internet is often skewed towards the negative...
  • I would recommend that you try your best to not read anything more online about breast augmentation!
  • Definitely talk to your plastic surgeon about your concerns!

Read the package insert to Aspirin!

I tell all of my patients to read the package insert to a bottle of aspirin.  After reading that, I'm not so sure you would want to take aspirin.  However we all have taken aspirin without any difficulties.  The same is true for any surgical procedure.  All risks, alternatives and complications must be spelled-out in order that we have a well informed patient.  Good luck with your procedure. 

Breast Augmentation Considerations

Thank you for your question. The best way to dispel fears and gather legitimate information to inform your decision will be meeting with experienced, board certified Plastic Surgeons in person for consultation. Your Plastic Surgeon will examine you, discuss your goals, concerns, related risks and considerations for surgery.

All the best

Scared about Implant Surgery

You have gone through much worse and more risky and complicated surgeries than a breast augmentation and come through with shining colors.  Don't psych yourself out.

Yes there are risks just like all the rest of life.  Compared to the risks of driving your car they are really small.  A risk free life doesn't exist and there are no guarantees, as much as we all would like them.  Right now you are standing at the end of the diving board looking down at the water and torturing yourself.  At some point you need to surrender to your decision and just go with it.

You have promised yourself this reward and clearly you really are motivated and want it.  Rest assured that most augmentations go really well.

Maybe you should stop looking on the internet reading sories.  Most people who are satisfied (and this is the vast majority) don't write stories on the internet and are just going about their life enjoying their new found body confidence. 

Heres wishing all the best for you!!

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Implants

It is a personal choice to go ahead with surgery. I will say that many patients panic a bit before surgery( normal). Often after a discussion about their goals, most realize ( especially after surgery) that it was totally worth it!  Best of luck.

Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. Any surgery involves some risks, but risks of complications are extremely rare. Breast augmentation is an extremely gratifying surgery with a very high patient satisfaction rate. Speak to your board certified plastic surgeon about your concerns. Best of luck with your surgery. 

Alfred Sofer, MD, FACS
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Feelings

Your feelings are normal.  If you didn't feel this way, that you would be strange.  Continue to discuss your feelings with your board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Best wishes!
Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Whether or not to proceed with breast augmentation surgery is ultimately a very personal decision that only you can make after very careful consideration of the pros/cons associated with the decision.

Anxiety prior to surgery is very normal; its complete elimination is usually not possible. Assuming you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, other important "variables" such as anesthesia provider and surgery facility will be selected based on everyone's first priority: safety. This careful selection should give you some peace of mind that you will be safe around the time of surgery. Discuss your specific areas of concerns with your plastic surgeon who will be in the best position to help you calm your nerves.
I ask my patients to try to be as calm as possible prior to surgery; this “calmness" tends to translate to a smoother postoperative course. You may be able to alleviate some pre operative anxiety with music, exercise, meditation, a glass of wine (if ok with your surgeon), and positive/objective focus on the long term outcome/benefits etc. prior to your procedure.
Again, I think you will be best off, given that your surgery is coming up very soon, spending additional time with your plastic surgeon communicating your goals/concerns/questions carefully (preferably prior to the day of surgery). In doing so will you likely find peace of mind and decreased anxiety.
Generally, patients find that they did “get worked up for nothing” after their recovery is completed.

Breast augmentation

You can read bad and scary things about anything you want on the internet. You should get your information from a board certified plastic surgeon whom you trust and stick with that. Good Luck to you!

M. Bradley Calobrace, MD, FACS

There are risks with any surgical procedure as I am sure you are well aware from your previous abdominal operations.  Breast augmentation is no different.  However, the patients are usually healthy and if you choose a board certified plastic surgeon and have the procedure at an accredited facility with properly credentialed anesthesia providers you should like over 90% of patients have a good experience.

Best of luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon