Why does one of my eyes go lower than the other and what can I do about it? (Photo)

My eyes have always been this way and bothered me. I have done research on drooping eyes and ptosis but I am not sure if I should get surgery. It does not affect my eyesight but in a physical way I would rather my eyes be the same.

Doctor Answers 2

First, don't seek eyelid surgery advice from someone who really does not understand eyelids.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is right upper eyelid ptosis with a compensatory right eyebrow elevation.  There is no question that you will benefit from the right ptosis surgery.  See a fellowship trained oculofacial surgeon.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a regional directory on their website that can help you find a highly qualified surgeon close to home.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Congenital Asymmetric Eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have a bit of an odd shape to your lower eyelids that has no specific cause. The difference in your upper eyelids makes it look like ptosis but the eyelid sits on the globe within a millimeter of the other. There may be a slight descrepancy in the position of your globes causing the visual eyelid problem. Regardless, I don't think there is a good surgical procedure to fix the issues except maybe a lower eyelid tightening which will change the shape of your eyes. As you age the problem could worsen and then become surgical.

Paul S. Howard, MD, FACS
Hoover Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.