Any suggestions on the size, shape and color shade? (photos)

What kind of shape will you get with the curvilinear- or linear reduction or a wedge resection? My labia minora and clitoris expands after I masturbate. Has masturbation something to say on how the clitoral hood looks like or the dark shade on labia minora? I feel whenever I masturbate my clitoris becomes bigger.

Labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction

I reviewed your photos. Your labia minora and clitoral hood are  enlarged. A labiaplasty with a clitoral hood reduction can reduce your size.  However, it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common labiaplasty techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced at the same time. Your clitoral hood is long and protuberant.  It can be decreased somewhat by reducing the sides.  I pioneered a clitoropexy with clitoral hood reduction in which the clitoris is pushed closer to the pubic bone and the width, thickness, length, and protuberance of the clitoral hood can be decreased.  No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery. Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

When it comes to labiaplasty

and more, you should be telling the surgeon what you want and not what they think you should have.  But from your photos provided, you could benefit from a labiaplasty and hood reduction with common techniques that have been disseminated through the literature and societies.  Yes, experienced surgeons are preferable BUT surgeons with good judgment are equally important as not all surgeons possess that trait.  Have some consultations and choose what you want to have.

Curtis Wong, MD

If you do a trim, your hood and clitoris will look very big

You need an extended wedge labiaplasty with hood reduction. Very very few doctors know how to do this. Be selective and study online. A local search probably will not help you. Check out Dr. Alter's videos as well. If you have an elongated clitoris, the only treatment is a clitoral reduction, which even FEWER doctors perform... I don't personally. Be choosy! This isn't a breast augmentation!

Labia shape

I recommend a labia minora reduction using a technique to excise the excessive rim of darker tissue. Importantly, you will also benefit from a clitoral hood reduction to keep the amount of soft tissue proportionate following the labia minora reduction.

David Stoker, MD

Should you get labiaplasty?

First, let me reassure you that your labia appearance is normal. However there is a trend to have less prominent labia, but this is a matter of choice and there are no medical reasons to do so other than improving your appearance down there. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.

Candidate for Labiaplasty

Women have a wide range of normal color, texture, size and asymmetries of their genitalia. This is true of the Vulva and all of its parts, the same as other parts of the body. #Labialplasty is probably the most common of the Vaginal Enhancement procedures. A candidate for a Labiaplasty procedure is concerned about the appearance of her labia or she may experience pain and discomfort from large, long or uneven labia; usually of the inner lips or labia minora.  This may result in chronic rubbing, which leads to difficulty in  wearing tight clothing , such as leggings; tight shorts and bathing suits can reveal a “Camel Toe”  which can be corrected with treatment. Enlarged or uneven labia may have a significant psychological impact and severely affect normal sexual relations.  Many women live with this problem unaware that there are treatments available to help them.  Non-surgical treatments with Thermiva radiofrequency can reduce the labia for some patients.  Surgery is the most common treatment and this problem can usually be corrected in under one hour with a local anesthetic. Many women feel more comfortable and relaxed with a quick twilight or general anesthetic. Each procedure is customized to the physical findings as well as the desired goals of the patient. Some procedures may include treatment of the clitoris or clitoral hood to further enhance this region.  The “trim procedure” is a straight incision along the edge of the labia to reduce excess tissue.  A “wedge” is the removal of a triangular shaped part of the labia with the remaining parts placed together to look completely normal. There are “modified wedges” and Barbie Doll procedures  as well as other varieties of treatment.  The Barbie Doll reduces much of the Labia Minora so that it is not visible beyond the Labia Majora.  There is no one right solution for all patients, but there is a solution for every woman. The outcome of a Labiaplasty is a more youthful appearance, ability to wear all types of clothing without discomfort and/or embarrassment, and a more confident sex life. 

My clitoris enlarges with masturbation

Clitoral enlargement with any sexual stimulation is desired and normal. This is a great thing!!Suggestions on aesthetic improvement of your vulva. Your clitoral hood is wide and droops low, and your labia are dark and wrinkled. There is certainly room for improvement which could be achieved with a Laser Reduction Labiaplasty and Clitoral Hood Reduction with Clitoropexy. This would leave you looking more youthful and more attractive. I would avoid the wedge resection technique since it's associated with wound disruption and often painful sex. This technique would also leave you with dark labia which is what is least attractive of your appearance.Seek out an experienced cosmetic vaginal surgeon. Be sure to look at their work by reviewing their photo gallery. Below is a link to my photo gallery with 100s of before and after photos.Best of luck, 

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Any suggestions on the size and shape and color shade?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  It is common to have some degree of clitoral hood and labia swelling with sexual intercourse and masturbation but this has not impacted your current genital appearance.  The edge pigmentation is hormonally related and based on your pictures alone I think you can anticipate a nice reduction in the size and shape of your labia minora.  Be sure to see a labiaplasty surgeon to maximize your results. Hope that this helps.

Labiaplasty and Clitoris Enlargement

Thank you for your question and sharing your photographs.  Enlargement of the clitoris is commonly seen with stimulation.  Based on your photos, you appear to have enlarged labia.   A labiaplasty with possible clitoris hood reduction may be indicated, but would require an examination to better assess your condition and to provide recommendations.  I would recommend finding an experienced genital surgeon for an evaluation. The appearance of the labia after surgery and which technique to use for the labiaplasty depend on the physical examination.   Best of luck.    

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist - Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Linear vs Wedge Resection

Dear Mel
Thanks for sharing. Most women have clitoral swelling during masturbation as well as intercourse.   The results of a wedge resection or curvilinear resection are the direct results of the surgeon performing surgery.   There are many different techniques to decrease the protruding the labia minora and the two most common techniques are 1) the curvilinear reduction or linear reduction and 2) a wedge resection.  No surgeon can make a blanket statements as to the results of your surgery if one choose a wedge or a curvilinear resection as this is a form of "art".   The results are those achieved by the surgeon who needs to be an artist. No matter which technique you pursue choose a surgeon with experience, expertise, reputation and one who achieves great results.  These qualities are not achieved by being a "plastic surgeon" or even being "board certified" but instead they come through great training, years of surgical experience, common sense, logic and innate talent.    All too often surgeons tell patients what post operative cosmetic results should be instead of asking a patient : " what results do you hope to achieve"?   The surgeon should be able to communicate with a patient and discuss whether her postoperative desired results are achievable. A surgeon should communicate with a patient what is and what is NOT achievable for that individual patient. 
My partner and I have been performing labiaplasty surgery for more than 15 years and we have written the largest single center study in the world addressing just this question: What are your postoperative aesthetic expectations?  What we learned in one study  from 550 labiaplasty patients over a 3.5 year period actually dictates whether we perform a) the curvilinear reduction or b) a wedge resection.  99% of caucasian women do NOT want the so called "natural border and skin" of their labia.  They do NOT want a dark labia minora skin edge if it is at all possible----- 99% of women prefer a lighter, pinker skin edge which is NOT attainable with a wedge resection.  The wedge resection can remove some of the more darkened edge but not lighten the labia through its entire length..The lighter/pinker ( more youthful appearance) is only achievable through a linear resection.  The normal anatomy of the bulk of the labia minora is preserved and just the edge of the labia is removed.  This doesn't mean that a wedge resection is not a great technique. The results of the wedge and the linear resection are only as good as the surgeon performing the procedure.  The second part of your procedure is the lateral thickness of tissue on both side of the clitoral hood this is known by some surgeons including myself as :  lateral redundant prepuce.  These can be reduced at the time of labia minora reduction surgery with minimal discomfort. Removing the lateral prepuce will not affect your clitoral function and will reduce the width of the clitoral hood are giving you a more natural appearance. Please choose a surgeon wisely and do NOT allow location and costs limit your choice in a qualified and experienced surgeon.  The key to your results is choosing an experienced surgeon who can attain results.
PS - the darkness of the labia edges are a result of a hormones and not masterbation
John R Miklos MD Urogynecology & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai