Vaginoplasty (vaginal tightening) and bright red blood. Have I pulled my stitches?

I had a Vaginal tightening 4 days ago and yesterday I started bleeding a bit bright red blood. Its not much but Im scared that Ive pulled my stitches. If my stitches are broken, is this an easy fix, and how can I avoid it from happening again?

Vaginoplasty (vaginal tightening) and bright red blood.

It is not uncommon to have a little bit of bleeding as you are healing after a vaginoplasty. If you are bleeding heavy like a period then you should follow up with your surgeon. It is unlikely that you have pulled the stitches. Best wishes.

Vaginoplasty

This is not an uncommon occurance after such a procedure. If you have any concerns, just call your doctor, and he or she can easily reassure you. Doesn't sound like a problem. Good luck

Peter D. Weiss, MD
Beverly Hills OB/GYN

Bright red bleeding

Hello. Thank you for your question. Bright red blood is an indication that it is fresh blood but if it is in small quantity it is likely your stitches are ok. Please seek medical attention if you are concerned or if bleeding increases. In general after vaginoplasty you should not engage in sex, no use tampons, not lift more than 30lbs, keep your stool soft. These guidelines are to prevent your wound from separating and to prevent infection. Best wishes. 
~Dr. Poucher

If you're bleeding and concerned, contact your surgeon

There is absolutely no substitute for a clinical exam to evaluate the significance of bleeding after vaginoplasty because there is much that can't be seen externally. It would be highly unlikely with the suture materials and techniques that I employ that any structural suturing would break down in the absence of severe trauma. Go see your surgeon.

Please contact your doctor.

What you describe might be entirely normal but without examining you and understanding exactly what operation you had, it is not possible to advise you except to recommend that you contact your doctor. Best of luck to you and don't worry, just get evaluated.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Not uncommon to spot after vaginal surgery

A little bit of bright red bleeding during the first postoperative week following vaginal surgery is normal. You should notify your surgeon if your bleeding increases. I advise patients to notify me if they are having to change a pad every hour, otherwise spotting and light bleeding is normal.
I doubt a stitch has pulled and even if it has there is no need to do anything. To avoid suture disruption you should follow your surgeons restrictions such as no heavy lifting, exercise, or sex.
Best of luck.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

What should I do for bleeding after Vaginoplasty

For specific clinical questions such as yours, you will need to ask your surgeon. It is not ethical for us, who do not know you or exactly what you had done, to give you this advice. Surgival care includes post-op care and consultation.

Michael P Goodman MD

Vaginoplasty

You should definitely contact your physician for evaluation.  One possibility is that you had some retained blood in the vaginal canal from surgery and as you are getting more active, it all came out.
The other possibility it that you have disrupted sutures, in which case the repair needs to be revised.  Only a full exam by your surgeon can give you the best answer.

Semira Bayati, MD, FACS