Shaver vs Razor, thoughts? (photos)

What is best to use for shaving after a hair transplant at the transplanted area as well? A shaver or a razor?

It's Up to You

Thanks for your question. First, you'll want to check with your surgeon to make sure it's safe to resume shaving. Once you're cleared, it's really your decision. If you're asking because you're worried about doing a shave that's "too close," allow me to ease your concerns. Your hair grafts behave the same as the rest of your hair — that is, once it's had a few weeks to heal and become established, it will grow back.

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

You can use a shaver or razor it is your preference. If you have a specific style you want or concerned, ask your doctor.

You can use a shaver or razor it is your preference.  If you have a specific style you want or concerned, ask your doctor.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Razor of shaver after a beard transplant

If you wait for 2 weeks after all of the crusts are off from the recipient area then you can use a Razor of shaver after a beard transplant

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Electric shaver vs. cartridge razor

Hi, Peter--

I assume you're asking about your beard, and not your head. But either way, the answer is "neither one." The closest, smoothest, least irritating, most enjoyable, and least expensive way to shave is with an old-fashioned double-edge safety razor, and lather provided by a good quality shaving brush and soap or cream. Check out the wonderful world of "wet shaving", also known as "traditional shaving" or "DE (double edge) shaving". You'll find tons of stuff online, including a gazillion YouTube videos (I've given you a taste in the link below). Also, feel free to contact me and I'll give you some tips.

Thanks for your question--a refreshing break from the usual!

Dr. Ballon

Jonathan Ballon, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon