Is this a double bubble deformity or is the infra-mammary fold lowered too much (or both)? Will I need a revision? (photos)

6 weeks ago I had a breast augmentation (anatomical silicone p., 250 cc, under the muscle/dual plane). Now I'm concerned and would like a second opinion before I consult with my PS. My left breast continues to be more swollen (or projected) than the right one, in addition there is a deformity (?) of the lower pole of the breast and the IMF seems to be lower on the left side. How likely is it that condition resolves, will I need a revision? What is the procedure if the problem doesn't resolve?

Double bubble

Dear Lissle14:     You are only 6 weeks post-op. Too early to make any final determinations. Please follow-up with your surgeon. Thank you for your question and I hope this helps.

Is this a double bubble deformity or is the infra-mammary fold lowered too much (or both)? Will I need a revision?

You are only 6 weeks postop - it is likely this may resolve with more time. Nevertheless, you should address it with your plastic surgeon. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Double bubble or fold too low?

Thank you for your question about your breast augmentation.

Apart from your concern, your result looks very nice.
The photo suggests that the indentation above the new fold is the original fold that has not expanded
This may resolve in time - or it may require a revision.
Without an examination I can't say if it is a double bubble (the implant sitting in the fold) or simply tethered skin.
Point it out to your surgeon - but avoid any revision for at least 6 months.

Be sure to consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Double bubble deformity ?

You may have had a very tight inframammary fold to start. If this was released it may be too tight to settle. It does not look severe to me so since you are early and everything else looks good I would cosnsider doing something to support the area such as a snug underwire bra. If it reattaches it may go away. If it persists it may require a small procedure to correct. I would follow up closely with your surgeon.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Old Fold Line

Yes you do have a small double bubble effect, but I suspect it is the indentation of your old infra-mammary fold.  Your surgeon had to lower your fold to get your implants in the correct position under the breast tissue.  This requires releasing your old fold.  Some fold are tight and have a lot of memory in the skin.  It may improve with time, months or years and the fold stretches.  Or is maybe permanent.  I have had this occur with my patients and be permanent.  Just one of the risks and benefit of an augmentation.  Usually I can tell if a fold will be a problem in the pre-op consultation and I point it out to the patient and I show them pictures in other patients who have the problem.

Hope this helps you understand your anatomt.

Gordon Telepun, MD
Decatur, Alabama

Thank you for your question.  You're over all symmetry and result looks quite good.

However I do see the small area beneath your inframammary crease on the breast that is in the left side of the photo.

This could be a small double bubble.  I would suggest that you see your plastic surgeon as the surgeon may want to provide more support for this area in terms of taping or bra support.  If this persists or increases after 3 months a small revision may be necessary.