Where exactly is the butt implant placed and what are the benefits when it´s in a sub-muscular position?

I wonder if what doctors here refer to as a sub-muscular position of butt implants is better than what they call the intramuscular placement. Does it give better coverage of the implants on skinny patients? Are there any risks?

Buttock augmentation

I'm not a big fan of sub muscular positioning of buttock implants.  I find that it keeps the implants too high when the muscle is flexed and hinders the projection of the implant.  intra muscular and sub facial placements are best , in my opinion, for most patients.  Keep in mind I've been doing this operation longer than most surgeons in the country and have written many published pieces on the subject. Be sure to choose a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in buttock implants and has an extensive photo gallery. 

Buttock implant position

A superficial intra muscular plane is the best position for your implant as this position will provide you protection from infection, protection from implant malposition, yet not compromise overall projection. This is the most ideal position for all patients. Please see examples below. 

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Placement of buttock implants

Because the buttock muscles are intertwined in multiple layers, it is not possible or safe to put the implant completely under all of them. However, most properly the implant should be placed between the gluteus maximus and underlying gluteus medius and minimus (aka "submuscular"). Occasionally it may be acceptable to place the implant within the gluteus maximus (aka "intramuscular") as long as the surgeon is skilled in keeping this plane of dissection level/consistent without puncturing through to the subcutaneous (on top of the muscle, aka "subfascial") plane.  The intramuscular technique should be reserved for patients with reasonable muscle bulk. Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD