I'm getting the gastric sleeve surgery and my doctor also wants to take my gallbladder out at the same time. Any suggestion?

My injection fraction was 13 when I had a hida scan 3 years ago. That surgeon told me to try and control it with diet. The weight loss surgeon says it has to come out if he is going to do the sleeve surgery. My insurance requires a 6 month dr supervised weight loss program to cover it. I'm in month 4 and I've had gallbladder attacks for the past 2 weeks. IF it needs to come out ASAP will my insurance let me go ahead and get the sleeve as well? Even though the 6 month diet isn't finished?

Gallbaldder or no gallbladder same time with bariatric surgery.

Very good question, Thank you.

in General, and as an experienced bariatric surgeon, I recommend to not remove the gallbladder at the same time of a bariatric procedure unless it is clearly indicated. Reason is : to reduce increased risks involved related to the additional surgery, anesthesia time, Deep veins thrombosis' risk, possible need for ERCP on a freshly constructed stable line " a procedure to remove a gallstone lodged in the main bile duct" especially when all that done at the patient very high BMI and weight.
saying that I do consider each patient case by case, some of the factors for consideration includes: symptomatic or Asymptomatic gallstones, patient general health, BMI, gallbladder status on ultrasound, social issues.. etc. and decide if appropriate to do the gallbladder surgery separately, before or latter after the bariatric surgery, or in very selected cases during.

Disclaimer: This is only for general information. All patients should consult their doctors prior to following any of the recommendations in any articles or answer on line. Every patient has individual needs and limitations that only their treating physicians can be aware of.

Houston Bariatric Surgeon