I want to get Botox on my forehead (single crease between eyes) and I'm so afraid of side affects. How safe is it? (Photos)

Botox Side Effects

Thanks for your question. This is a question that we get asked often by our patients. The most common SIDE-EFFECTS of toxin injections include: Swelling, Redness, and Bruising at the site of injection. Complications are rare and only temporary, but may include paralysis of other nearby muscles, temporary eyelid ptosis (dropping of eyelids, 2% risk, lasts 2-3 weeks), temporary brow ptosis (dropping of eyebrows, 2% risk, lasts 2-3 weeks), cross-eyes, ectropion or edema of the lower eyelid, dry eyes, double vision, transient headaches (10%), local numbness (lasting 2-3 weeks), flu-like symptoms, rash at the injection site, pain at the injection site, infections, and bruising (need to avoid blood thinning medications). Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. This may be applied for 3 minutes, 3 times per day, for up to 3 days. This is best done with a bag of peas in a zip lock bag. Only apply light pressure to the area. Only take Tylenol if you get a headache or migraine.

Calgary Dermatologist

Botox side effects

Botox has many uses and over the years has proven to be very safe.  Most common side effects of Botox inculde headaches, bruising and pain at the site of injection.  Less than 1% of of patient develop drooping eyelids or eyebrows that return to their natural position within a few months.  Always go to an experiences injector and discuss your preexisting conditions with your doctor.  Hope it's helpful.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox Safety

Botox is very safe. It is FDA-approved for treatment of creases between the eyebrows. Any side-effects from the use of Botox for the frown line are temporary. However, Botox alone may not completely eliminate the deep crease that is visible in your photos. You may need a filler, such as Restylane or Juvederm Ultra, to get further improvement of any crease left after Botox takes effect.

Renuka Diwan, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Safety of Botox for forehead

Botox is incredibly safe and has been used globally in millions of people, including children (e.g. club foot, cerebral palsy) etc. There have yet to be any serious adverse events from the use of cosmetic botox. Some people get a headache, others a tiny bruise, while vast majority of people have no issues. The discomfort is about 1-2/10. The most important thing is to have a qualified specialist treating you such as a dermatologist so as to optimize efficacy and safety. 

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Safety

Thank you for your question – Botox is safe for injection to address the line between your brows. It is FDA approved for treatment to wrinkles to this area on your forehead, also called the glabella. Deeper creases in this area soften after repeat treatments. A licensed injector will be able to provide you with a consultation and safe treatment.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Safety of Botox

Yes, Botox is a safe procedure, especially when performed by a board certified plastic surgeon. Botox would be a great solution for the facial wrinkle in your photo.

Jayesh Panchal, MD
Edmond Plastic Surgeon

Botox Safety

Botox is FDA approved for the treatment of some facial wrinkles, including the ones that you are concerned about.  It is a very safe procedure especially when performed by a board certified cosmetic surgeon.  You should make an appointment for a consultation to discuss all the risks with the doctor and to determine whether or not you are a good candidate.  Good luck

Botox

Thank you for your question in regards to Botox. It is FDA approved and extremely safe when administered by a certified injector. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Botox and Forehead Wrinkle

Botox is an extremely safe procedure when performed in the trained dermatologists office.  You need a "baby" amount of Botox injected into this glabella area.  Since your frown line is deep you may require filler after your Botox to completely treat this area.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Botox safety and deep crease in between eyebrows

Dear stellakatsmith,

Botox is extremely safe! It is good to be a bit cautious and research the treatment--but if you see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon you can get all your questions answered and review the exact side effects that you are worried about one by one.
One treatment may not completely get rid of the line but it will be much approved and over time with repeated injections the line will get better. If you do decide to get filler in addition to the botox I would recommend getting the filler after the Botox kicks in. Otherwise, the muscle will move and "crunch" out the filler. I would also recommend using a cannula if you do decide to get filler as well.
Best of Luck!

Morgan Rabach, MD