I am outrageously tired! Also suffering from a slight case of the blues! Is this normal?

13 days Post Op Rhinoplasty and Breast augmentation Natrelle Inspira srf 520cc 5'8" 124lbs At home caring for 2 toddlers, and it is proving to be quite difficult!

Feeling tired or blue after breast augmentation is normal.

I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing fatigue and sadness following your procedure, but I want to assure you that what you’re feeling is normal. The combination of anesthesia and pain medication, as well as roller coaster of emotions that typically accompany breast augmentation can result in feeling both sad and tired. Add to that the demands of caring for young children and it makes sense that you’re not feeling yourself. Getting assistance with childcare for the next several weeks can help alleviate your exhaustion. If these symptoms continue, please don’t hesitate to contact your surgeon. I hope you feel better soon.

he first weeks can be really difficult– physically and especially emotionally after any cosmetic surgery and breast augmentation is no exception Assuming your surgery went well this may be a normal reaction. Although several factors may be involved causing this including underlying stress, medications, psychological tendencies, etc - many women experience a sequence of emotional feelings "Emotional Rollercoaster" following aesthetic surgery - but it does pass. Having a partner, family member , or friend who is supportive can help this process.The stages of emotional ups and downs if understood in advance can help you stay calm and get you through this process more quickly.
Phase 1 – Being Out of It
Swelling and discomfort is most severe over the first few days after breast augmentation. Pain medications also can make you disoriented and emotional.
Phase 2 – Mood Swings
Having just had breast augmentation you are adjusting to a sudden change in your appearance with much anticipation.. The presence of bruising, swelling, and edema, your breasts aren't going to be look like the final outcome. Mood swings especially sadness, worry and depression are common.You may even ask: "What have I done?" or think that "I never should have done it"
Phase 3 Being over critical
During the second week you will probably be feeling a lot better. The edema (swelling) and muscle cramping/spasms if implants were under the muscle will be decreasing and stiches out.. Because of anticipation it is natural for you to look critiacally at your new breasts worrying about symmetry, scars, and so on. . So; it's normal to wonder if you acheived your goal and "what you paid for" . This is too soon to tell and most concerns are resolved with time.
Phase 4 Happy at last
Finally, about week 3 or so, you will probably start liking how you look and are feeling much better.. You may be in the mood to buy your new bra to check out the size difference, check out some bathing suits or tops to show off your new figure and show off.
Larry Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Thank you for your question. Post-operative blues can be possible due to general anesthesia and surgery. However, It is always best to contact or visit your board-certified plastic surgeon, express your feelings and have a full evaluation for your concern. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic
surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Normal recovery

It is completely normal to feel some blues after surgery.  In addition to all of the medications which cause some depression, there are hormonal changes that occur after surgery.  You probably need help with your children.

Post breast augmentation depression.

A combination of two aesthetic procedures is a physiologically significant event. Postoperative depression is fairly common. Seldom is a medication needed. Express your situation to your own surgeon.

Depression after surgery

Thank you for your question. Do not worry. This is not uncommon. I notice that many patients feel some mild, temporary depression between week 2-3: you're still hurting, the results are not there yet, you've invested money and time out of your life, etc. There are a number of factors, but give it a couple more weeks and you will be feeling much better. Let your doctor help you through this process. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Too much, too soon

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent procedure! You are still very early in the healing process and your body is still taking time to catch up with itself. It's also possible that you may be exerting yourself a little too much too soon, especially with caring for two toddlers. Try to allow yourself a little more time to rest and recover. Good luck and congratulations again!