Tummy tuck 2 weeks ago - there is a knot above my belly button that is painful.

I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you have after tummy tuck surgery.  As you likely know, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource for precise diagnosis...

Generally speaking, an abdominal wall "knot" after tummy tuck may be related to:

1. Swelling in the soft tissues. This may take several months to resolve and may worsen with increased activity or at the end of the day. Patience is required to allow for resolution of the swelling. The swelling occurs because of the interruption of venous and lymphatic channels that occurs during the tummy tuck operation.

2. Fluid accumulation in the space between the skin and the abdominal wall muscle. this may consist of blood ( hematoma) or serum (seroma). This fluid accumulation can generally be diagnosed by physical examination ( occasionally ultrasound may be helpful). Treatment consists of aspiration; several episodes of aspiration may be necessary. 

3. Separation of the abdominal wall muscle repair may lead to a swelling/bulge appearance.  One of the steps of a tummy tuck procedure involves reapproximation (plication) of the rectus muscles. These muscles have spread apart during pregnancy and/or weight gain. Bringing them together again in the midline helps to “tighten” the abdominal wall as well as to narrow the waistline.

4. Residual adipose tissue may be confused for swelling. Again this is most easily diagnosed by physical examination. Additional liposuction surgery maybe necessary to improve the results of surgery.

Generally, it takes many months for swelling to resolve after tummy tuck surgery and it may take up to one year (or greater) a complete skin redraping to occur.

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (2 weeks post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Post op knot above belly button

This is not the kind of thing that can be diagnosed online. You need to schedule an appointment to see your surgeon. It could be a stitch that needs to be removed.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck issue

Not sure what you mean by a knot. if it is a suture, then you might need to see your surgeon who can likely trim it out.

Tummy tuck 2 weeks ago - there is a knot above my BB that is painful.

Thank you for sharing your question. Unfortunately without a full series of photographs or an in-person examination it is difficult to offer definite advice as you may be experiencing postoperative swelling, a discrete fluid collection, infection, or other issue that should be addressed by your surgeon.

In this case, it is best to notify your plastic surgeon and be evaluated in person as it is not possible to assess in this way. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Knot Above Belly Button 2 Weeks Post-Op

Hello, and thank you for your question. While there are many issues that can persist after surgery for several months, including swelling and the settling of incisions and scars, something that painful is best evaluated by your plastic surgeon in person. I would recommend scheduling a follow-up and having the area checked to make sure healing is progressing well.

Tummy Tuck Revision/Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/High Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon