Are Micro-cameras used by trichologists capable of detecting roots on scalp?

Hello to all doctors, it's a bit of a follow-up but I have been wondering if trichologists are capable of diagnosing presence of hair follicles/roots on a chemically damaged scalp? I'm considering going to a specialist who's offering a diagnosis by a micro-camera but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Similarly, would you recommend plasma therapy as a way of helping these follicles to grow? Thank you for your responses, I just want my hair to recover and get stronger, J.

You need an examination for a better understanding of why you are losing hair. The Internet will only give you generalizations.

You need an examination for a better understanding of why you are losing hair. The Internet will only give you generalizations.  Camera cannot see the "roots".  Cameras (for hair) cannot see below to skin to see roots.  In general cameras are used to see miniaturizing hairs.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Micro-cameras can only see the surface of the skin and the hair shafts, not roots

Chemical damage to hair is mostly visible as hair breakage which occurs away from the scalp along the length of the hair follicle. You can see the density and caliber of emerging hairs, inflammation, and scarring with a micro-camera but not the roots or anything below the surface.  You should seek help from a dermatologists, as mentioned by the other physicians on this site, in order to truly diagnose any condition of the hair. You can only see the bulbs with a biopsy.  It is equally important to have a dermatopathologist (a specialist in skin/hair biopsies) to look at your specimen as opposed to a general pathologist.Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) is an emerging therapy with evidence that may help some patients with hair growth.  Because it is so new with very limited research, I tell patients that there are no guarantees but that I have seen improvements in my patients with the use of PRP.

Jennifer Krejci, MD
San Antonio Dermatologist

Hair roots

Hello,I'm afraid not.  A simple scalp biopsy will be needed and in the long run will be a small investment.

Gregory Pistone, MD
Cherry Hill Dermatologist

Cameras on scalp

Video microscopes are used extensively in hair diagnosis in many offices by trichologists and hair restoration surgeons, but they can not see below the skin. Only a biopsy can so this

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Micro cameras

No, a micro camera can not detect roots- only hair shafts and the scalp surface. If examination of the roots is needed, a scalp biopsy must be done.For chemically damaged scalp, often triamcinolone acetonide injections along with minoxidil are the first line.See a dermatologist. The diagnosis lies in the story of hair loss, the appearance of the scalp and blood tests - not with any camera device.
Don't get fooled by technology.