Explant and Breast lift

I am having my saline implants(375) out soon and my PS is then doing just a breast lift 8 weeks later.. Is the staging necessary? Evidently I have quite a bit of breast tissue.

#ASPS #breastimplants #breastaugmentation

Hello frogkara, thank you for your excellent question. Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you.  I hope this is helpful and wish you all the very best.  Sincerely, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS
CARE Plastic Surgery

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal then lift

Yes, some stage the lift after implant removal especially in those patients that do not have a lot of tissue.

Is the staging necessary?

Removing saline breast implants can be quite easy and often we remove them with just local at the incision site. Recovery is just as easy. Your surgeon might have the right idea for you, and you will have the benefit to see your breast without the implant and better able to judge what type of lift is necessary, and with luck you might need none at all.

To lift or not to lift

I would suggest you take your plastic surgeon's advise as there may be some details online posts may be missing. Second opinions would be best obtained in person to decide what is possible or best performed in your case. Most plastic surgeons have both staged and combined these procedures but it would depend upon the scenario.

Timothy Fee, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal and breast lift

Thank you for your question.  Staging procedures is occasionally recommended when the risk of complications is greater if the procedures were to be performed at the same time.  In the case of implant removal and breast lift, it may be to your advantage to have the implants removed or deflated prior to the lift so that the skin has a chance to contract/shrink.  Once the skin has had sufficient time to contract, the lift can be performed with greater accuracy and a better result.  I defer to your plastic surgeon who has had the advantage of examining  you.  Best wishes!

Breast Lift/Implant Removal

Photos would help. Because your Plastic Surgeon has examined you in person, they can speak to your existing breast tissue and which options will help you reach your aesthetic goals. I recommend that you follow up with them.

All the best

Staging of mastopexy

The staging may or may not be necessary depending on various factors that are all ultimately related with your safety. Staging of procedures may be recommended when the risks of complications is higher than normal and when you want to limit that time the patient spends under general anesthesia, or when they are undergoing multiple invasive procedures which may have an additive effect on your risk of complications.

For patients who need a significant breast lift, a staged procedure is recommended to increase safety. You did mention that you have a lot of breast tissue, so this may be the case. That being said, explantation followed with a breast lift can normally be done within the same surgery. 

Please share your concerns/questions with your board-certified plastic surgeon for more information about their surgical plan.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Staging

Thank you for the question and staging is patient dependent.  Usually though if the patient has slot of her own tissue it can be done in one stage

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Simultaneous lift and explantation

Hi,

Thank you for your question. Most frequently, lifts and explantations are done at the same time.  One surgery. One recovery.  In some circumstances it may be necessary to do 2 separate surgeries. Please discuss the need for this with your doctor. You mention  "quite a bit of breast tissue" .  This is actually good as the uplift will redistribute the tissue and provide a fuller shapelier breast after the procedure.

Good Luck,  Beverly Friedlander, MD

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Mastopexy

Although there may be some advantages to staging the procedure, I think most Plastic Surgeons, including myself, do them at the same time. It saves money, only one anesthetic, and less time recovering.

Good luck,

Greg Sexton, M.D.

Columbia, S.C.