What is the difference between a lower face lift and a neck lift please?

I have had an asymmetic double chin to the left of my face since I was young. I am now 71 and having lost 3 stone - I was very overweight - in 2012, the firm double chin of youth is now just hanging flesh, mainly on the left; the right side is what I would say 'normal' for someone of my age. I have been offered a wattle neck procedure or a lower facelift but not a neck lift and wondered why.

Turtle neck correction after significant weight loss

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

Based on your description a neck lift is a needed portion of a procedure to correct your neck. As we age, the mid and lower face also descend. the jowls are a consequence of this descent. If this feature is present, then a lower facelift need to be done to address this issue. Finally, after weight loss the cheeks also go down making the nasolabial grooves evident. a mid facelift will address this feature. In summary, in order to have a comprehensive rejuvenation of your face, you are most likely in need for a full face and neck lift. Obviously, a physical exam is granted to provide the best diagnosis and advice.

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Wishing you the best in your journey

Face and neck

Usually the neck and face lifts are done together and simply referred to as a facelift.  The neck lift alone is not typically done since it can look odd to simply tighten the neck and not the rest of the face.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Lower face lift vs. neck lift

Hi. Typically a "facelift" refers to lifting and thus rejuvenating and tightening the lower 2/3rds of the face as well as the neck.  So, even though I say "facelift", it means facelift and neck lift. There can be differences in terminology depending on who you are talking to. The upper 1/3rd of the face can be addressed with a brow lift (commonly with an endoscopic brow lift, or "endo brow" in my practice).  The neck can be addressed by itself, alone, with just a neck lift.  However, I find an isolated neck lift to very uncommonly be the best choice for a patient, because most of the time if the neck needs surgical tightening, then the face needs some, too.  I would recommend consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon to go over all of this in detail with you.  Good luck, and take care.

Dr. Howell

Lower Facelift vs. Neck Lift

A facelift includes raising and tightening the subcutaneous structures of the face from the level of the top of the ear to the lower neck and removing extra skin. 

The confusion comes in when a "mid-face" is added. The mid face raises the area just lateral to the nasolabial folds which a facelift typically does not. 

A neck lift can be done alone but usually does not give as good a result as doing the face with it because there is less ability to remove skin with a neck lift alone. Direct excisions of redundant neck skin can be done to tighten the neck but the scars are more noticeable and are located in the anterior neck. Can be OK for men but not usually for women.

Hope this helps,

Dr. J

A. Dean Jabs M.D. Ph.D. FACS
6430 Rockledge Drive
Bethesda MD 20817

Face lift, neck lift, lower face lift, mini face lift...what is the difference?

Thank you for your question. This is something that confuses many people because both patients and surgeons inter-change many of these terms. Having a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will help you in determining what procedure is right for you based on your goals. The real power of a face lift is the improvement of the neck, jaw line and jowls. So a face lift could be considered a neck lift or lower face lift as well. It really depends on your surgeon, but the name shouldn't matter as much as what technically needs to be done in your case to reach the desired outcome.

Face/necklift terminology

Thank you for your question. If you are confused by the difference between a necklift, lower facelift, full facelift, mini-lift, etc., you are not alone. I think these terms are used inconsistently by surgeons an patients alike. I never know what to make of a report that a patient has had a mini-facelift, as I can never be sure exactly what has been done. One surgeon's mini-lift can be very comprehensive, while another surgeons facelift can be very minimal. The bottom line is, a patient has to be very clear as to what they want out of the procedure, and a surgeon must be very clear as to what he or she intends to do, and this must be communicated to the patient in no uncertain terms.

Ben Lee, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Semantics

The extent of the face and neck lift operation is tailored to each patient's needs. The terminology, however, is often vague and misused.

A "wattle neck procedure" is likely a direct excision of the excess skin and generates an unsightly scar in the middle of the neck. It is of historical significance only.

A lower face and neck lift is an aesthetic surgery that repositions the deeper soft tissues of the face and neck to tighten the neck, lift the jowls, and add volume back to the cheeks to reverse the signs of aging. Some may refer to this as simply a lower face lift. From your description and your history this surgery would likely produce the results you are looking for. 

A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical option. A detailed discussion with your Board Certified plastic surgeon would be the next best step.

See the link below for more info.

Neck lift or lower face lift?

Hi and thanks for the question,

A neck lift addresses only the neck.  It can be accessed through the same incision and sometime an additional incision under the chin is required.  A lower face lift addresses the jowl, mouth and lower cheeks.  I often perform these procedures together to ensure that the face is balanced with the neck.  I would ask your surgeon what she/he intends to do with your neck for clarification.

Hope this helps!

Robin Evans, MD, FRCSC
British Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Necklift vs lower face lift

a neck lift will only treat the neck and after your description I really doubt that this will be enough. Normally at 71 the reaining part of the lower face ( jowls, and near the mouth and nose) also needs improvement and that is why they all offer the lower face lift. 

Luis Eduardo Redondo, MD

Necklift

A lower facelift or neck lift are the same procedure. These two surgical terms refer to improvements of the jawline and neck by tissue repositioning/excision by the ears.(as well as neck liposuction and platysmal muscle tightening)