Will skin tighten and form around implant to help remedy slight rippling?

I recently had saline implants removed and replaced them with silicone implants, under the muscle. My left one looked great but my right one had ripples along cleavage and a slight diagonal ripple along the top. Three weeks ago, my surgeon revised the pocket on the right side. Cleavage ripples are better but still have ripple on top. Is it possible my skin will tighten up around this new implant and pocket and help remedy the ripple/dent? I cant handle any more surgeries. I am 5'4 - 116 pounds.

Rippling After Breast Implants

Rippling after breast implants is most commonly due to thinning of the tissues over the breast implants. In general, rippling is more of an issue in women who are thin or had very small breasts prior to augmentation. It is also more common in those who have very large breast implants. Rippling is more noticeable with saline implants as compared to silicone gel implants. Please discuss your concerns with your surgeon as an exam is necessary to confirm whether you actually have rippling or there are other issues that need to be addressed.

Draper Plastic Surgeon

Implant Rippling

Rippling is not a manifestation of loose skin, but instead thin tissues. You would need to be examined to see what further options are available. One relatively 'simple' solution is fat grafting to the area above the rippling. I recommend you visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons for a second opinion.
Best!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your rippling issues.  It is difficult without an in-person examination or full series of photographs to know what may be causing this rippling - thin tissues, residual capsule, skin tethering, etc.  Each would require a different type of treatment, the former with fat grafting to the layer just under your breast skin, use of a skin scaffold within your implant pocket, removal of any hardened capsule, or replacement of textured implants to smooth ones.  Talk to your surgeon about your options and if the answers you receive are not satisfactory, seek a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon. Hope this helps.

I think I just answered a similar question (from you?) about fat grafting to correct this. Let me see if I can offer any advice on this question as well. You are very thin and the visible rippling is not a result of problems with the implant, or problems with the skin or its ability to "tighten" around the implant.

The issue (without the ability to examine you) is that you have not enough soft tissue thickness to cover the implant and disguise the ripples. You need more tissue between the implant and the outside world and the best way to accomplish this would be with ADM in the pocket, fat grafting, or both. I would say that if your skin "tightens up around the implant," it will make your problem worse, not better.

Hope this helps! 

Rippling of implants

When you develop capsular contracture, the pressure around the implant is increased and most of the time no wrinkles are visible. In the absence of that, it depends on how much collapse the implant has in the upright position and how little overlying breast tissue you have to cover it. As you are still early in the healing phase, there is still maybe a chance that this implant settling may remedy these traction wrinkles. If not, some added support at the bottom for that grafting at the top can help. Follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Ripples

You are still pretty early in your healing process so best to give your body adequate time to heal. As the swelling subsides and the implants settle, your look will change. However, you also appear to be quite thin so you may not have a lot of coverage on top, leading to the visible rippling. I advise my patients to wait a good 4-6 months to see their final results and if you still aren't happy at that point, best to have a candid discussion with your surgeon. Hope this helps!