When can I start working out and running after a tummy tuck and lipo to my back?

I'm 8 weeks post op female 41, can't wait to start doing abs work out and cardio, I love to run too.

Running after surgery

Please ask your surgeon about this, as their instructions may differ from others. Generally, I recommend you wait at least 2 months before resuming vigorous exercise, including full out running, strength training and ab work. You can jog a couple of weeks before that time, but you should restrict it to light cardio. 

Exercise after tummy tuck

Thanks for your question.  This will be best answered by your surgeon, as he or she knows the specifics of your medical history and progress during your recovery after surgery.  In general, most patients are able to resume their exercise regimen at 6 weeks after abdominoplasty, but it is important to do so at a gradual level initially in order to judge your body's response.  Congratulations on your recent surgery and best of luck!

Benjamin Wood, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Start Exercise After a Tummy Tuck

This is something you should talk to your surgeon about. For my patients, I want them to wait 6 weeks before resuming formal exercise.However, I encourage my patients to ambulate right awayearly ambulation to reduce swelling and promote blood circulation. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Working out

I see my patients multiple times after surgery to evaluate their post operative results. If I feel they are having a smooth recovery, I generally allow my patients to resume normal activities 6-8 weeks post op.  By 8 weeks your body has formed strong scars both on the inside and the outside, so it is more difficult to damage your surgical sites. I would recommend discussing this with your surgeon, as he/she knows you on a more personal level and will give you guidelines for what you can and can’t do.

Audrey A. Klenke, MD
Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck recovery

Thank you for your question. After a tummy tuck and liposuction surgery patients can return to light activities almost immediately after surgery, normal activities 2 weeks after surgery, and vigorous exercise 6 to 8 weeks after surgery.  We usually experience a slow steady improvement for 3 months or so after surgery. Best is to follow your chosen surgeon´s advice as every surgeon will have his/her own preferences as to recovery for specific procedures.

Alex Campbell, MD
Colombia Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after a tummy tuck

I usually allow my patients to go back to light aerobic activity within 3-4 weeks and then lifting by about 6-8 weeks. You should ask your surgeon.  Best of luck.

Recovery after tummy tuck

After tummy tuck surgery, I advise the patients to take two weeks off from work. The patients may return to work, but may not engage in any strenuous activity. At two months, the patients start low impact cardio. At three months they can engage in more strenuous physical activity. If anything hurts or causes swelling, we ask them to back off somewhat. If you exercise or do some particular activity that results in pain or swelling you are doing too much for your personal recovery at that time.  Not everyone heals the same.  You need to make sure that you don’t cause more swelling.  Fighting the swelling or working through the pain will certainly backfire. I prefer the patients to stay in town for two weeks if they from more than 2-3 hours away.  I do not allow patients to fly before 2 to 3 weeks at the very minimum.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Post-op workouts

Highly surgeon dependent, so ask your surgeon, With that said, most surgeons will clear their patients for exercise at 6 weeks as long as everything has healed appropriately.

Nathan Eberle, MD, DDS
Weston Physician

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Exercise?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent surgery. Most patients are cleared to exercise by six weeks following a tummy tuck.   it is best to have an in-person follow up examination with your plastic surgeon for recommendations regarding what you should and should not be doing at this time. Good luck in your recovery.

Steven J. Rottman, MD, FACS