I am a 21-year-old male with what seems to be a recessed chin. I want to horizontally lengthen it. What are my options? (photo)

I haven't been aware of it until recently, but now that I can see it it's driving me to distraction. One picture is what I have; the other is what I want, with my tongue muscle tightened to give the illusion of a stronger chin. My question is twofold: Am I a good candidate for cosmetic chin surgery? Is it possible that I have a different problem (my bite is normal)?

Options for Horizontally Lengthening a Recessed Chin

Because the info you provided indicates that you have already determined via dental specialists that your bite is properly aligned, I would suggest that you make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to view the shapes and sizes of chin implants that could improve both your profile and front view.  

All the best!

Chin Augmentation

Chin augmentation would be the appropriate treatment for your lower jaw deficiency given that your bite is normal. The horizontal change you seek is modest and would be best done with an implant. It would also be important to see what type of chin change you would want from the front view as well. (rounded vs more square chin)

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

I am a 21-year-old male with what seems to be a recessed chin. I want to horizontally lengthen it. What are my options?

When patients have a recessed chin, a chin implant procedure can accomplish cosmetically augmenting the chin forward for better facial balance and proportions, especially from the side profile. Chin implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes which is best determined at the time of the consultation and examination, since both the chin and the implants are three-dimensional structures. In our practice for over 25 years, we have used Implantech silastic chin implants. For many examples, diagrams of the implants themselves, and many before and after chin implant results, please see the link and the video below

Recessed chin in 21 year old

Your photo does show some recession of your chin and you do appear to be a good candidate for chin augmentation.  This could be accomplished with a chin implant or sliding genioplasty.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

21-year-old male with what seems to be a recessed chin, what are my options?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.