I had an abdominoplastia in July 5 of this year, how long does it take for the muscles repair to heal in side?

I'm 41 and also i have a lot of discomfort in my hip are, same nights is hard for me to sleep on my sides. Thank you

Tummy tuck

The muscle repair usually becomes pretty solid by about 6-8 weeks. In terms of activity, you should ask your surgeon.

Healing after TT

Typically healing takes about 6 weeks after TT with muscle repair. It is not uncommon for some patients to have continued discomfort beyond that window however. I would see your plastic surgeon to ensure your healing is progressing appropriately. Discuss the areas of pain and talk about your sleeping difficulty. He/She will be a better guide for your continued healing. Best wishes. 

Muscle Repair After Tummy Tuck

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks.

Swelling, tightness and pain can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

If you are worried that you are having trouble healing it would be good to visit your surgeon for an examination to make sure that everything is going well and find out if anything can be done to help. Good luck.

Muscle repair healing

I always tell my patients that it takes about 4-6 weeks after a tummy tuck to allow healing of the muscle diastasis repair. This does not mean that you are done healing in that time frame but at this point you can start doing more activities.  The scarring process that occurs over the repair can take months.  Based on your timeline, it might be worth having your surgeon examine you for this pain in your hips.  Make an appointment with your surgeon.  Hope this helps.

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon