The Caesarean section: the gift that keeps on giving. Could I have an abdominoplasty? How much of it'd be covered by insurance?

Need a strangulating hernia repair from horrific section in 1990....insurance will cover the hernia repair but I'm wondering if I could have an abdominoplasty and approx how much of it'd be covered by insurance? Whom should I see? Does GI do this sort of thing? My ins doesn't require specialist referrals ....so I can see whomever.... I am in Sarasota county and have BCBS....could anyone recommend? Thx!!

I'm sorry to hear that you have had problems following your C-section. You should seek the advice of a board certified general surgeon (for your hernia) and a board certified plastic surgeon (for the tummy tuck). These procedures can safely be done together but require the coordination of a good surgical team. Your insurance company should pay for the expenses related to your hernia surgery but, unfortunately, the cosmetic part of the procedure (tummy tuck) would be self-pay. Our hospitals generally will give you the additional costs of the tummy tuck up front so you know what charges you'd be facing. Good luck.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Hernia and tummy tuck

the tummy tuck would probably    not be covered by your insurance whereas the hernia would.you could have both done together either by a general surgeona nd a plastic surgeon as an outpatient.soem plastic surgeons may feel comfortable doing both since most plastic surgeons are trained in general surgery as well.ably

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic surgery is not covered by insurance. You can either do these procedures separately, or select a board certified PS and see if he/she would perform both procedures at the same time, and a  chosen surgeon can provide a letter to your insurance company regarding hernia repair.

Tummy tuck is not insurance related

Insurance will not cover any portion of an abdominoplasty.  You should get your medical issues such as your hernia prior to any cosmetic procedures.

Thank you for your question.  It is important for you to see a board certified general surgeon and a board certified plastic surgeon who are used to working together on a case like yours.  Although the insurance will likely cover the hernia repair expect that the tummy tuck will be considered cosmetic and you will have to self pay.  For more information on tummy tuck please read the link below.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you have experienced.  I think that it would be very unlikely that insurance companies will cover any part of expenses associated with the tummy tuck surgery. Usually, in cases like yours, insurance companies will “cover” expenses ( surgery facility, anesthesia, surgeons fee) associated with the hernia repair;  surgery facility, anesthesia, surgeon's fees associated with the tummy tuck procedure will be considered patient responsibility. When the time is right, see consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. You may find the attached link, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as well. Best wishes.

Need tummy tuck and insurance information

Thank you so much for your question about a tummy tuck with a hernia repair.

I am so sorry you had a bad C section experience in 1990. A tummy tuck can be done with a hernia repair, but sadly insurance will not cover a tummy tuck at all - since 2012. 

You want to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to start. Depending on the hernia and the plastic surgeon, s/he might fix the hernia at the time of the tummy tuck or work together with a general surgeon at the same operation. If it is a really large hernia, the operations might need to be staged. 

I don't have anyone to recommend in Sarasota - but the ASPS website will have surgeons in your area. You can check up on those near you and call to see if they do hernia repair. (Since you are a nurse, if a doctor you work with refers you, the plastic surgeon might give you a discount. It does not harm to ask.)

Here’s hoping you find this helpful. Have a great day!

99% non coverage for any Tummy Tuck operation. But I recommend Dr John O'Brien in St Pete, Florida...