I have large breasts, and one is larger/bigger than the other. Will a breast reduction fix this?

My left breast can sit nicely in a 38D bra, while my right breast spills out of a 38DD. I have to contantly adjust myself when wearing low cut clothing. I would eventually like to have a reduction to a full B or C cup. Will this help the symmetry? Also, I am beginning the process of losing weight. Will that make them even more asymmetrical when all is said and done?

A breast reduction should make your breasts more even. You also need to realize that breast asymmetry is the norm rather than the exception. Good. Luck

Assymetry to breasts

You are a great candidate for an assymetrical breast reduction.You could have this done as an outpatient and get the desired size you want.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction surgery can address breast asymmetry.

In general when a surgeon performs breast reduction surgery there is usually one breast that is a different size than the other and this is taken care of during the surgery. Although it is impossible to make both breast exactly the same size they should be very close. I recommend a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your particular situation.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Without examining you or seeing the photos- it is impossible to comment accurately. Generally speaking, breast reduction address asymmetry issue. Seek an experienced Board Certified PS for in-person consultation.

Breast Reduction Also Can Improve Symmetry

While it is not always possible to completely eliminate differences in breast size, they can often be greatly improved.  After breast reduction the differences should be small and not noticeable in clothing.

In additon the amount the your breast can be reduced depends on your starting size, your natural anatomy, and the type of reduction performed.  It is often possible to go from a DD to a C cup.  Reducing all the way to a B cup may be difficult.  In any case you should get help on this from your plastic surgeon so that your breasts match your body size and look proportional.

Asymmetry can be corrected at the time of breast reduction

In almost every case, breast asymmetry can be corrected during breast reduction surgery.

Most women have one breast that's larger than the other. The left breast usually sits half an inch higher on the chest wall than the right breast.

Going from a triple D to a B cup may not be realistic. Talk to a board-certified plastic surgeon.

It's generally better to lose weight prior to surgery.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD