Will fraxel dual work for my scars at all? (photos)

I'm 17 and had really bad acne but I'm cleared up now. I'm left with severe scars. the scars on my chin are slightly raised and it looks bumpy. The scars on my chin and cheeks have bad hyperpigmentation too. My forehead has the worst scarring. My forehead is the worst. Will fraxel help with my hyperpigmentation?Will it make my face any smoother at all?

Will fraxel dual work for my scars at all?

If there are many different types of scars and hyperpigmentation, then many different types of treatment, such as Restylane Silk® filler suscision/Fraxel® laser/ VBeam or Nd;Yag lasers (for pigmentation), may be necessary. Please have a through evaluation with a board-certified aesthetic dermatologist. He or she can develop a customized overall treatment plan specifically for you. 

Miami Dermatologist

Thank you for your question. Fractional lasers can help but may take several treatments. There are many other treatments that may be better for you. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeons office for a treatment plan thats best for you.

Treating acne scars with Fraxel

Fraxel is certainly an option that can help with both hyperpigmentation and scarring. Some other methods include TCA Cross, subcision, injection of fillers and punch excisions. These treatments are tailored to each patient individually and your dermatologist will be able to provide you with a customized regimen after evaluating you.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne Scars – Combination of Treatments Needed

The best treatment for acne scars depends upon an individual’s skin type, age, ethnicity, sun exposure, overall health and most importantly, the type of acne scars present (ice pick scars, boxcar scars, rolling scars, hypertrophic scars and variable degrees of hyperpigmentation). In order to give you an accurate treatment plan, a consultation is required to properly assess your skin.

An important step for all skin types is sun protection including the use of daily sunscreen, sun hats and sunglasses, all of which help prevent aging and sunburns. 

When it comes to acne scar treatments, a combination of treatments are available including cosmeceuticals (medical grade skin care products specific for acne including ZO® Skin Health or ZO® Medical, Skinceuticals® or Glo-Minerals®), advanced laser resurfacing procedures (CO2 laser, Er:YAG laser, Fraxel DUAL®, PicoSure® FOCUS Lens Array), chemical peels (light, medium, deep including the blue peel), dermabrasion, augmentation/fillers, excision and/or subcision, punch techniques, microneedling/rolling, injections (corticosteroids, interferon, 5-FU), cryosurgery, electrodesiccation and microdermabrasion. 

These are advanced techniques so be sure to get an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon consultation for recommendations and treatment options.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Treating Acne scars with Fraxel

Fraxel is a fantastic laser for treating acne scars. However, it is important to first treat your acne aggressively so that you don't develop new acne scars.  The hyperpigmentation will be improved with topical hydroquinones. You may also benefit from injections of Sculptra which will help fill in the lost collagen from your scars as well. Please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with Fraxel for the best results.

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

You need a cosmetic dermatologist who specializes in acne scarring/pigmentation and does a combination of treatments including: surgery, subcision, or TCA cross for deep or pitted "ice pick" scars; fillers like Bellafill or Sculptra or Radiesse for broad "boxcar" or "rolling" scars; Eclipse Micropen for all types of scars and improvement in texture and tone; lasers such as co2 laser resurfacing or Fraxel/Clear+Brilliant or radiofrequency such as Sublative or Viva to improve the scars and give long term collagen production. There are many options but you want someone who can customize a regimen for your short and long term goals based on your individual situation. Best, Dr. Emer.

OK, to answer your question, yes. I prefer the CO2 Fraxel rather than the 1150 Fraxel. It works better.  You will require 3-5 sessions for best results. 

You may also need filler to 'fill out' the atrophic scars AFTER Fraxel. 

Another thing you may want to seriously consider.... treat your acne, as this can lead to more scarring. See a Dermatologist for reliable treatments. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser Dermatologist

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

What is fraxel

Fraxel is a laser skin rejuvenation treatment that resurfaces your outer skin, erasing imperfections. It also encourages the production of collagen, a protein found in connective tissue.The result is clearly visible lines, folds and wrinkles. Fraxel laser skin rejuvenation is a non-invasive technique that affects only about 20 percent of the facial skin exposed to it. The most common side effects of Fraxel laser treatment are swelling and skin redness, which should subside within a couple of days. Other temporary side effects may include minor itching, dry skin, peeling or flaking, and a bronzed skin appearance. The risk of infection or scarring is very limited

Elliot M. Heller, MD