Are revision TT results as good as original? (Photo)

I'm 58 and had a abdominoplasty in 1992. Now I want to have another one. Is it harder to get good results with a revision tt or are the results comparable to never having one before?

Are revision tummy tuck results as good as original?

Revisionary surgery will certainly improve your outcome. Exactly what operation would be indicated would depend on your specific concerns/goals;  these concerns/goals are best communicated in front of a full-length mirror. For example, if you wish to improve your waistline area ( commonly referred to as the "muffin top"), then additional skin  and adipose tissue excision (lipectomy)  may be indicated.  Asymmetry concerns can be addressed as well.  Again,  careful communication will be one of the keys to success. Best wishes.

Are revision TT results as good as original?

Based on the pictures, a repeat tummy tuck may give you a nice result. See an experienced plastic surgeon.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

If you have an experienced surgeon to manage your care I think the results of a revision will be far better than your original results. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Revision abdominoplasty

Based on your photos and time since your TT this should be considered a new abdominoplasty. Your skin has lost elasticity, your abdominal muscle will need tightening and, most likely, you will need a transposition of belly button. So consider this second abdominoplasty as a completely new procedure.

In the hands of an experienced plastic surgeon with good reputation in body sculpting surgery/abdominoplasty you may expect quite an improvement. Select your surgeon wisely. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Revision Tummy Tuck Results

What great question!

I perform tummy tucks on patients that have had 1-3 tummy tucks before I have ever met with them in consultation for the first time.  In my experience, the results and satisfaction following revision tummy tucks are as rewarding as they are after I perform the procedure on women who have never had a prior tummy tuck. I will say that that these patients are more aware of, and can appreciate better, the difference in the quality of their new result as compared to their prior results.

If there is the physical presence of excess skin and fat +/- any remaining abdominal wall muscle laxity, the tummy tuck is indicated and will correct all of these, even if a prior tummy tuck(s) has been performed.

In some women under going revision tummy tucks, there may be limitations with respect to the complete removal of the opening in the skin created by cutting around the belly button during the procedure when one is safely removing all of the other excess skin.

But, this is always a consideration for women undergoing a tummy tuck for the first time as well. While only a physical examination has the potential to anticipate this probability, from your photos, it does not appear that this would be an issue with you, which is great!

Again, looking at your photos, If you were my patient, I suspect that you could expect a dramatic and significant improvement in your tummy area.

I hope this information is of assistance to you and helps to answer your great question.