When does the risk of Nipple Necrosis go away after a breast reduction? (Photos)

I had a breast reduction oct 7th this year and I'm 2 weeks post op tomorrow. I got my steri strips removed today and I noticed my left areola is a few shades darker than my right breast and it has less feeling. The surgeons nurse said it looked okay, but my surgeon was already out of the room before I could ask him. What are the signs of nipple necrosis and when does the risk go away ? Does it start slow or do symptoms arrive fast ?

When does the risk of Nipple Necrosis go away after a breast reduction?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure; at this point, you are past the point of concern when it comes to nipple necrosis.  These types of complications are generally evident within the few first few days after surgery. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with long-term.

Necrosis

From your photos and being two weeks post op the chance of nipple necrosis is essentially none. as long as you have some feeling in your nipple normal feeling should retur. You are well on your way to good healing.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your pictures and questions. At two weeks postop, the risk of you having any problems with nipple necrosis are very very minimal. If you were going to have any problems with blood supply, you would know it by now. It looks like you are well on your way to a good result.

Nipple Necrosis after a Breast Reduction?

Usually poor circulation to the nipple appears within several days of the surgery and, incidentally it is a very rare phenomenon in non-diabetics and non-smokers these days.  The risk is somewhat higher in women with extremely large and extremely droopy breasts/nipples.  Relax and allow for the normal progression of healing.  It looks like you're doing just fine.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

You can relax. You do not have any evidence of nipple necrosis and you are well past the time when it could occur.                                            

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Nipple necrosis

You are healing nicely and there is not a risk of nipple necrosis at this point.  You look great. Jane

Nipple necrosis

Thanks for your question and photos. Relax, you are NOT having nipple necrosis. Your nipple would of been black and non viable by now. Slight discoloration can occur immediately post op but should resolve with time. Good luck

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD