Revision br. aug. due to rupture and capsular contracture - recovery time increased due to submuscular placement, use of ADM?

Hello. I am having a bilat. br. aug. revision d/t suspected rupture and caps. contr. (CC) of a silicone gel implant. My PS is replacing the implants from over the muscle to under and is using alloderm. This will be my third breast surgery (I had CC in 2008 and had a revision). How will this recovery differ from my past surgeries? I plan on returning to work 4 days postop w/a duty limitation for heavy lifting (I am an RN). Are drains typically left in place post-op; if so for how long? Thank you.

Recovery time after over to under and alloderm usually more than 5 days

I usually use suction drains for a minimum of 5 days with Alloderm or Strattice in order to maximize the adherence of the material for optimal "take." It is possible that you could go back to very light duty after 5 days but longer would be my recommendation. Your own surgeon knows your situation best.

Yes drains are usually left in with ADM like Alloderm. I often do but sometimes it is not needed. Just depends on your surgery. Recovery is so variable depending on what you need. Going under the muscle will certainly make you sore and up the game a little bit. Four days may be pushing it but just see what happens. Listen to your body. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Breast Revision

Your best resource is your plastic surgeon.  If you were my patient, I would recommend you stay off work for at least a week to 10 days to allow healing time.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Revision breast aug due to rupture and capsular contracture - recovery time increased due to submuscular placement, use of ADM?

I am sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced.  Keep in mind, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to specific information/predictions when it comes to recovery. Generally speaking, breast augmentation surgery with breast implants in the sub muscular position is associate with a longer recovery and potentially with more discomfort compared to sub glandular breast augmentation surgery. In my practice, I find that patients who have acellular dermal matrix(ADM) utilized tend to have more fluid (serum) accumulation;  drains are typically left in place approximately one week after the operation.

Best wishes for successful surgery and an outcome that you will be very pleased with.