How long do I need to wait to have sex with after breast augmentation?

I ask my patients to wait 10-14 days because bleeding can occur during that time and anytime you elevate your heart rate you can have a postoperative bleed in the first couple of weeks. There is no real answer to this question really. We have no data on what the right answer is. Every surgeon has their own recommendation. 

Sex after Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question.  It definitely depends on whether you had a submuscular on subglandular augmentation but in general I would recommend waiting 7 days.

You need to ask your surgeon who is familiar with yoiur case. In my practice if healing and recovery is normal I recommend waitingf 6 weeks before sex after breast augmentation.

Sex after BA Surgery

Thank you for your question. It is best to discuss with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon his/her specific recommendations as far as sex and overall return to activity after breast augmentation surgery. The recovery after BA surgery varies widely from patient to patient as well as the level of discomfort during this time. Generally, the first 4-7 days are reserved for rest and overall recovery, and after that, patients can slowly work their way back with gradual low risk activities. So for the specific situation, I would agree that at least 1 week, preferably 2 would be better. Otherwise, I prefer to wait at least 6-8 weeks for repetitive upper body lifting/movements and arm use so that the muscles, skin incisions and breast tissues have had adequate time to heal and settle before being stressed. The recovery routine will best be determined by your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon so be sure to touch base with him/her on their specific recommendations.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Sex or intimacy after breast augmentation....

First it is the foreplay that concerns surgeons the most as aggressive manipulation of the breasts just after breast augmentation probably should be limited for 1-2 weeks.  Unrestricted after 4 weeks.  Having sex or increasing ones heart rate, we allow after 48 hours...but cautiously.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

As long as you can

I certainly agree with Dr. Salzman to wait at least 1 week after breast augmentation.  I know some patients who have had sex much earlier without any issues. 
Just be careful.
Best Wishes,
Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

How long for sex after breast augmentation

There will be as many answers to this question as there are physicians who answer it. Each physician will have their own thoughts on physical activity after surgery. I can only tell you what I tell my patients. We tell them to keep their heart rate and blood pressure normal for one week. After that they can start on any exercise program that doesn't put pressure from outside on the pectoralis muscle or cause it to be under strain.( ie bench press or flys) Ask your operating plastic surgeon who knows what surgery was done what the best options for you are.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS