Breast augmentation revision due to capsular contract; subglandular to submuscular, w/o size change. Will bra size be the same?

I am 1wk p/op from rev. due to CC for the 2nd time. First 2 br. augs. were subgland. (1st revision in 2009 due to CC), and this revision is now submuscular w/alloderm. We used the same size implant (520cc) that I had before (as I was happy w/size) and my PS didn't want me to go any larger as he felt I was already too large. My breasts are flatter and way fuller than w/my 1st 2 sx's. Can I expect to stay the same bra size as I was before this last surgery since same size implants were used? Ty.

Breast Implant Revision/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

It depends on your chest wall measurements and existing breast tissue as implant size does not accurately correlate to a bra size.  It also depends on the brand and style of bra you wear as size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

You have had so many revisions that I do not think you should focus on your bra size. You will have some difference in shape from before because you had a contracture that was making the shape different and now that the capsules are gone you have a non-contracted different breast. Bra size really is irrelevant in the grand scheme. What is important is that in a few months when the pockets settle and things relax that you are happy when you look in the mirror. What the bra cup size shows means nothing. Patients focus so much on cup size and it really is nothing more than a guide to us. Nobody can nail the exact cup size especially in revision surgery. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Breast Revision

Yes, volume is volume no matter in front of or behind the muscle so your volume is the same but your shape may be different. New moderate profile silicone  implants are a lower profile than the old moderate saline implants. If you had a moderate saline implant and your doctor gave you a high-profile silicone implant then you should look about the same. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Implants do look smaller after contracture surgery

Yes they look smaller. It's because they are submuscular, which holds them closer to your body; also because capsular contracture makes your breasts look bigger as they are more hard, up, and out there. Your ps is right though, as sizes over 350 are associated with higher risk of capsular contracture. I hope you swapped the implant though as a lot of these are caused by biofilms. Finally some encouraging words, which is the Alloderm will stretch out and they will look a lot better. Give 'em a couple months!!!

Lisa Cassileth, MD, FACS

Bra size after implant revision

when I first read your question, I wasn't sure what you meant by "my breasts are flatter and way fuller..."But in thinking about it, I guess by putting the implant under the muscle w/Alloderm, it makes sense that the muscle and alloderm would be compressing the implant a little, especially in his early period while it is still swollen. 

It is hard to know if a lot of tissue was removed with the CC and how that affected your breast size. In general, however, I think that you will likely be roughly the same size in a bra as you were before. I think that your breasts without a bra, may look quite different naked now that they implants are under the muscle, hopefully without CC!

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

You will probably be roughly same size...

Congratulations on having undergone the revisionary breast surgery.  It is very hard to say, given that several "adjustments" were made during the procedure, whether or not you will remain exactly the same size after surgery.  This is one of those situations where time will tell when you are able to be fitted for bras down the line.

Best wishes for a complication free outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.