Will bumping your nose every now and then make it larger?

Every once in awhile I hit or bump my nose by accident, and I'm immediately set into panic because I don't know if the appearance has changed or not. Recently a friend of mine threw a small object at my face and it hit my nose, it really hurt for a few minutes but then it stopped. I can't tell if my nose has been damaged. I also have a bad habit of rubbing my nose bridge lightly, could this be altering the appearance as well? Thanks.

Damaging the nose

If you bump your nose hard enough, yes, it can cause damage but it would also really hurt. Mild bumps aren't going to do anything. Simply rubbing the bridge of your nose shouldn't cause any issues with the structure. It could maybe irritate the skin if you rub hard enough. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Bumping nose

A bad hit to the nose can cause a bump.  How minor trauma could impact your nose is difficult to determine.  Rubbing your nose is unlikely to do anything. 

Fortunately the nose is very resilient. Cartilage bends and bone is quite strong. The nose changes shape due to fractures but otherwise it does not. Usually fractures have bleeding, significant swelling, and bruises under the eyes that accompany them. Without those signs, it is unlikely that you at any point broke the nose and therefore unlikely it has changed shape. 

Jeffrey Watson, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon