Tummy tuck and sitting up.

I have more skin lax when I'm sitting, when I lay flat the skin disappears I think this is the reason I was unhappy with my first abdominoplasty. Please note I am a massive weight loss patient so skin quality isn't great. Would it be rude if I ask my next PS to sit me up in the OR before closing me up to make sure the skin is tight and there are no bulges or excess skin! Would it even be possible to sit a patient up in the O.R? Would you as a plastic surgeon do this request if a patient asked?

Revision Options for Tummy Tuck

Revision surgery is unusual but may be desired for several reasons. Most revisions should be done after 9-12 months.  One cause for revision surgery are “dog ears” at the ends of the incisions. These are small folds of excess skin that do not flatten over time.  They can be excised, suctioned or both.

Scars may widen or continue to be red and elevated.  These may require laser treatment or injection with kenalog and 5-FU.  Excision and reclosure may help some scars. Other treatments are available as well.

Excess fat or loose skin may require liposuction and skin excision to obtain the best result.

The best thing to do if enough time has passed since your original procedure would be to visit with your surgeon to have the area examined and determine what sort of revision options are best to help achieve your desired results. Remember that sometimes results will not always turn out exactly as you hope so realistic expectations are always good. Good luck to you!

Loose skin and tummy tuck

It is usually the standard to have the patient flexed or bent at the hip when a tummy tuck is performed. This allows more skin to be removed while still being able to close the incision. Sitting completely up at a 90 degree angle may be a little on the extreme side though. If you remove too much skin, you will not be able to stand up and eventually when you do, the tension on the scar will result in a wider scar or a scar that rides high on your abdomen which is much more noticeable. You should definitely feel comfortable in letting your plastic surgeon know that you would prefer him or her to err on the the "more" skin removed than less! Hope this helps!!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

#abdominoplasty #tummytuck

FishCakeFrench,

I think its a great question! You should definitely discuss with you plastic surgeon but typically the operating room bed is flexed for final closure.  You don't want it to be too tight however, this can lead to wound breakdown and worse scar.

Dr. Daniel Barrett

Plastic Surgery

Beverly Hills, CA

Daniel Barrett, MD

Remaining skin laxity after TT

One of the consequences of extensive body weight loss is a loss of skin elasticity and retraction. When doing  a TT surgery surgeon tries to remove as much skin as possible considering skin blood supply, skin elasticity and body shape. However, even after visible initial improvement that may last for several weeks or months, patient who  has a poor skin tone and elasticity will demonstrate some degree of laxity. This is due to inherent quality of their skin which, unfortunately, can not be changed with surgery. Sometimes additional skin excision may bring improvement. 

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

Not only would that not be rude, but that is the norm. We always flex the operating table to take out the maximum amount of skin. It is then very hard for the patient to stand up straight for several days but as the skin relaxes they can stand up straight. However, you must understand that when you fold your body forward you will fold your skin, it will not ever be tight when you are bent over

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy tuck and sitting up

Your situation and observations are surprisingly common, not only for individuals after weight loss, but after childbirth and aging as well.  It's skin elasticity, variable among individuals, among parts of the body, and over time.  Skin elasticity CANNOT be changed by surgery.  Only molecular biological research may help us manage situations like yours more successfully in the future.

Think for a moment though:  Say your surgeon DOES sit you up, and DOES remove all loose skin in the sitting position, and does close your remaining skin tightly.  You're correct in assuming, if you remain sitting during the entire duration of healing, excess skin will be gone.  Your abdomen will look great sitting up.  But what happens when you try to stand up?

Steve Laverson, MD