Can an explant & lift be done transumbilical without scars in areolar area & longitudinal incision on skin inferior to areola?

Can an explant with breast lift be done transumbilical WITHOUT scars in the areolar area and longitudinal incision on the skin inferior to the areola? I am a keloid and I had transumbilical BA to avoid visible keloids.

Breast lift without scars

Scarring is part of the natural healing process. In order to do a breast lift skin has to be removed. This leaves a scar. There is no way to do a breast lift without scarring . In your particular case deflating the implants with a needle first would .give your breasts the best opportunity to shrink before any type of a lift.  Removal of the implants would likewise require an incision on the breast which will cause a small scar. Options include  periareolar or inframammary 

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Not technically feasible

There is no possible way that an explantation with lift can be accomplished through a transumbilical scar.  

Explant and lift without scars

you most likely have saline implants as I do not know any surgeons who will place silicone implants via umbilicus. The saline implants can simply be ruptured with a needle if you simply want to be relieved of the volume. I do not know of any way to do a true lift without scars. We have been playing with Ultherapy as a non-surgical method for breast lifting, but it is off label and somewhat experimental. We have had quite an impressive amount of success with it, however.

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal with breast lift

The goal of a breast lift is to remove excess skin and elevate the nipple position.  Therefore with any lift, there will always be a scar around the areola.  The scar pattern can extend into a "lollipop" fashion or an "anchor" depending on how much skin needs to be removed, but they all involve an incision around the areola.  If there is already going to be an incision on the breast, you can just remove the implant through this incision.  An explant is not as simple as it may seem - the scar tissue (or capsule) surrounding implant also needs to be removed or you risk having a seroma (fluid) collection.  This capsule cannot be removed through the belly button, it needs to be visualized and removed carefully.Best of luck and hope this information helps!- Dr. Roger Tsai

Roger Tsai, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Breast Lift

All breast lifts have two things in common, moving the areola to a higher position and taking away excess breast skin by excising it. Thus all lifts have scars on the breast. Removing a saline (not silicone) implant transumbilical is possible but hard to imagine any surgeon would consider that due to the large amount of dissection necessary for a very small operation.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Explant with lift

To properly remove the implant it can be performed through small incision under the inframmary fold. However, the removal of skin would require significant scars. Best of luck 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Lifts without scars?

A lift involves removing skin, and that can't be done without making an incision. The more skin removal needed, the more lengthy the scars. If you are having any kind of lift that scar can be used to remove the implant. I have never tried to remove implants through an umbilical approach so hopefully someone else may be able to advise you. There would be no way to remove the capsule if done this way. If you have your records and saline implants you might consider a deflation pre-operatively so you can make decisions with your surgeon about which technique you will need and what you are willing to live with.Best of luck,

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with lift

Hello and thank you for your question. Theoretically this can be done but it would not be the best option. Your breast lift will require incisions on the breast. It would be best to use the same incision to remove the implant so you do not have an umbilical incision for the explant and a separate incision for the lift. Your surgeon should be able to discuss this with you. Best Wishes Theodore T. Nyame MD  Harvard Trained Plastic Surgeon

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician