Dark circles, Fines lines (around eyes), Discoloration (face) Chemical Peels? Laser? (Photos)

I have always suffered from dark circles and HATE THEM. I also have several fine lines on both my upper and lower eye area. On top of that, I have some discoloration on my face (around my mouth and on the side of one of my cheeks). Just wanted to know what would be most beneficial to fixing these problems. Should I go with a type of laser, or a chemical peel?

Chemical Peel

Thank you for your question. Chemical peel can address fine lines and fine wrinkles around your upper and lower eye area, but it is not as effective in addressing the dark spots. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to create a treatment plan to address your areas of concern.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chemical Peels and Laser

Thank you for your inquiry and for providing photos. Dark circles can be treated with Hydroquinone creams. I recommend using it for three months and reassessing. If this doesn't help or give you the desired results, Laser would be option 2. As for the fine lines around your mouth and cheeks, the laser can be done for full face as well as chemical peels. This will diminish pores, fine lines and wrinkles as well as improving skin texture. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that offers these treatments. Best of Luck to you.

Dark circles

Periorbital hyperpigmentation is very tricky to treat. There are lotions, peels and lasers that promise the world but often come up short. Superficial pigmentation(sun spots) respond better than deep pigmentation. Unfortunately, there is not anything great for the deep pigmentation. There is a makeup called circle delete by Jane Iredale that can really help cover it up. A little bit under some foundation and your good to go.

Chester K. Cheng, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Dark circles

Thank you for your photos. There are several things that can be done to improve your skin tone around the eyes and mouth as well as fine lines. This includes topical skin care, skin bleaching agents, and chemical peels. You may also benefit from some filler which helps stretch and "fill" the skin which can lighten some of the shadowing effect. It is best to have an in-office examination to determine how your skin will react to the different options and to formulate the best treatment plan. Hope this helps!!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Dark Circles, Fine Lines, etc.

Thanks for your question!  You have several options to help fix some of your concerns.  I would first recommend medical grade skincare, including some sort of skin lightening agent.  This will help with discoloration.  I would also recommend a series of chemical peels to help with the fine lines and wrinkles, as well as the hyperpigmentation.  You can do fillers for dark circles, but this needs to be performed by someone with experience.  Best of luck to you!

Dark cirlces under eyes

Thank you for your question regarding dark under eye circles.  This is a very common problem and in most cases it is hereditary. Doing chemical peels and using a retin A or tretinoin cream may help with this issue to help lighten the area, but it will be something that you have to maintain.  

Dark circles and blotchy skin

Lasers are generally not safe near the eye area unless you use a corneal shield.  Same with chemical peels around eyes.  I think a chemical peel for the blotchy skin on other parts of your face is the way to go.  For the eye circles, I suggest filler to lift the dermis away from the vessels that are causing the darkness.  

Hope this helps,

Yazdani, MD 

Several light chemical peels helps control blotchy pigmentation.

Blotchy facial pigmentation can be improved with several light chemical peels followed by a prescription bleaching cream. It won't be cured but it will look better and you will always need to do something to help prevent the discoloration from returning.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon