Bulge following fleur-de-lis. (photos)

Hello! I had a tummy tuck (with vertical scar) 10 months ago and since day one post op I've had a bulge above the belly button. It's quite big and seen under clothing. I'm really not happy with it! Is there a way to permanently remove this bulge?

Bulge after TT

Thanks for your question. It would be real helpful to see a side profile picture to assess this "bulge" better. From the pictures I have it looks like there is still some residual skin above your belly button. The side profile picture would show me if the bulge is from the underlying muscle and/or from loose skin. You should voice your concerns with your surgeon and get some treatment options from them. Good luck. 

Upper abdominal bulge postop

Thank you for the question and sorry to hear you aren't pleased with your result.  Congratulations on the weight loss by the way.  From the photo your scar may be tethered to your underlying tissue.  Did you have a wound problem there?  Either way its best to return to your surgeon with your concerns. It may be something that would be able to be revised in the office.  Best of luck

I would suggest going back to your surgeon and discussing this bulge. It may be a simple thing to revise in the office. Without an exam, no one over the Internet can tell exactly what it is, although it appears to be some loose skin.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Possible revision surgery

Hello and thank you for your questions. It seems as though you may need additional revision surgery to remove the "bulge" you are concerned with. However, you need an in-person consultation for a full evaluation. Please consult with your surgeon for a follow-up. I wish you the best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD

Please repost with current pictures.  There is a limit on how tight we can sometimes make patients in the operating room and in post-weight loss patients some revisions may be necessary.  Please see your surgeon to get his or her recommendations. 

Jules Walters, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Fleur-de-lis tummy tuck - now what?

Thank you for asking about your fleur-de-lis tummy tuck.

• You appear to have lost a very great deal of weight.  (Congratulations).
  • Not uncommonly,. further tightening is needed and this appears to be what you need.
  • So please see your plastic surgeon, explain your concern and desire for more improvement.
  • It is possible that on examination, you will need a 'reverse' tummy tuck/lower chest skin tightening to remove excess upper skin -
  • But let your surgeon figure this out for you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Bulge after floe-de- lis

Thank you for your question. You have residual excess skin. Can be removed with revision. Please talk to your PS and for evaluation.