How often should I do breast implant displacement massages?

Hi - my doctor has taught me how to do the massages and told me to do them whenever I think about it, but is there an ideal amount to shoot for? And relatedly, can I do it too much and end up making something worse? Thanks so much!

Breast implant massage

is not something that is embraced by all but I wonder how Dr. Minniti's results hold up against surgeons who employ massage??? I believe it helps maintain the pocket (not prevent contracture) for more implant movement and is instrumental in improving symmetry of the upper poles.  My patients do it 4 times a day minimum, holding the position for 15 - 30 seconds.  And I would put up my results to Dr. Minniti's any time.  Bottom line, follow your surgeon's instructions to achieve the results you desire.

Massage of the breasts

Congratulations on your recent surgery! Each surgeon has a preference on how they want you to massage the implants and how often . You can massage them down to far and end up with not so pretty implants.  I would recommend you call your surgeon and ask for direction. Best of luck! 

Never

Although your trusted surgeon has given you this task, there is no science behind it.  In fact, there is good science showing its non-superiority over doing nothing at all. That's right.  Implant massage is bunk, and is unnecessary for normal healing, and it does not prevent or treat capsular contracture.  Worse, giving the patient a task and telling them it's important leads to self incrimination of 'not doing it enough' or 'not doing it correctly' when something does go wrong, and that is wrong!  So, you can stop now. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Timimg

I instruct my patients to do massage twice daily for 6 months following surgery.  The usually begin 2 - 3 weeks post - operatively.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

During first 6 weeks I ask my patients to do them at least twice a day and once a day for life. It is easy to establish the habit during morning shower.

Ideally 3 minutes three times a day for the first 6 months and once a day from that point on.

Best

Ron Hazani, MD

Beverly Hills

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Frequency of Breast implant displacement massages

I agree with my plastic surgery colleagues below.  It really can be unique with each patient, and I "tailor" the exact "regimen" of implant displacement massages to each individual patient.  Implant displacement massages are fairly specific to patients that have had smooth round breast implants that are placed under the muscle. Depending on the size, shape, and style of the implant as well as the patient's anatomy, some patients look "higher" than others in the first few weeks after surgery.  Implant displacement massages, I believe, can really help with this as the  lower pole skin of the breast stretches and the implant "settles" into place. I typically recommend spending about 5 minutes in the morning in the shower, then maybe once at midday, and again in the evening in most patients.  Again, discuss the plan with your plastic surgeon, but I hope these general recommendations help.  Good luck!

Implant massage

Hello, there is a wide range of opinion when it comes to postop breast massage.  Some surgeons find that massage makes no difference to their results, but others feel that it is quite important.  I would suggest asking your surgeon how much massage they recommend.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon