Asymmetry in breasts pre-op - how much worse will it be post-op? (Photo)

I didn't notice the asymmetry until my pre-op appointment today. My doctor says its a subtle asymmetry (I can't stop seeing it now though). We're likely doing close to 500cc silicone, under the muscle, round and smooth (depending on how the sizers will look). My breasts are about 14 across, for reference. I'm wondering if I can get some more detailed information on what to expect, what the outcome might be?

Asymmetry pre- and post-op

Your asymmetry seems mild.  My guess is that if you haven't noticed it until it was pointed out to you, you likely won't notice after surgery.  And remember, we spend most of our time in clothing.  So, as long as your breasts look similar in clothing, I'm sure you will be very happy.  Good luck!

Breast asymmetry before placement of large breast implants?

It is very common for breasts to be uneven and this has been shown to be the case in about 85% of women.  I explain to my patients that I will make every effort to improve their asymmetry but certain things such as nipple and breast crease position can only be changed to a degree with breast implants alone.  In my experience making breast larger results in the natural asymmetry seeming "less important" visually in over 80% of patients.  In 10% the degree of asymmetry seems about the same but in 10% of patients their asymmetry may seem more  noticeable.  The most important thing is to recognize that some asymmetry is normal and to enjoy your new size and shape understanding that perfect symmetry is not expected or normal.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Asymmetry in breasts pre-op - how much worse will it be post-op?

It is extremely common to see a patient with a little asymmetry who has never noticed it before, and yet every woman on earth has uneven breasts to one degree or another. Asymmetry to a small degree is the human normal. Surgery often makes patients less asymmetrical but absolute perfection is never in the cards. It is one of the jobs of your surgeon to point that out. Having worse asymmetry is extremely unlikely. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Asymmetry

Your situation is one that I worry about frequently, but not for the reasons that you think.  As plastic surgeons, our job is to identify even the most subtle asymmetries, and we need to point them out to the patient,  Women like you who have perfectly normal breasts, who never recognized the asymmetry before, can become overly concerned about this and that is not the purpose of identifying your asymmetry.  Perfect symmetry is simply never found in nature, and please understand that you are perfectly normal.  In a practice like mine where I see breast asymmetry all of the time, the majority of my patients would love to look like you before their surgery.

I also point out asymmetry to my patients so they are aware of the differences in their breasts and so that they understand the things I'm thinking about when I go about creating as perfect a breast as possible in the operating room.  But I ALWAYS tell my patients that nobody's body is perfect, and that as there is some asymmetry now, there will be some asymmetry after surgery as well.  The outcome of surgery, however, should always improve your breast symmetry and your breast form.  

Try not to worry about your small amount of breast asymmetry.  Your are perfectly normal, and I bet your breast surgery will turn out great.

Dr. L

Thank you for your question and photo.  First understand that 88% of women have asymmetrical breasts so you are normal.

I agree that here asymmetry is subtle and I do not think a lift of the lower side is needed.   Often a shelf stitch can be done to lift the lower inframammary crease or fold beneath her breast.   I do not think the nipple areola asymmetry is enough to warrant a lift.  You're having quite large implants which should compensate for the asymmetry  and if the inframammary crease is modified to be symmetrical I don't think your asymmetry will be increased.  Of course discuss this in detail with her plastic surgeon who has the final word.

Asymmetric breasts

Most women have some breast asymmetry.  In your case, when you have the augmentation, your surgeon should use different size implants to try to correct the asymmetry.

Breast Asymmetry

It is difficult to assess how different your breasts are in volume and shape by photography only.  It is common to have some asymmetry, and frequently the asymmetry is not deemed significant enough to justify using different sized implants. In fact, using the same size implant will actually minimize the difference in native breast volume by virtue of merely increasing total breast volume. How? Take the example of a woman with asymmetric breasts, one is 90 cc, the other is 100 cc. The smaller breast is 10 cc or 10% smaller. After augmentation with 900 cc implants (for the sake of mathematical simplicity, and to best illustrate my point), one breast is 990 cc, the other is 1000 cc. The smaller breast is still 10 cc smaller, but it is now only 1% smaller than the larger breast. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast asymmetry

Thank you for your photo. All breasts have some form of asymmetry when compared to the other side and yours seems minimal from that one photo. If you do not notice it yourself casually or when in clothing, it is unlikely that you will notice a difference once your breast implants are placed as well. When your basline asymmetry is much more noticeable before your implants, then the surgeon may need to modify their technique or implant size to improve the asymmetry post-op.  In your case, I would not be worried. Plastic surgeons are trained to notice asymmetries and the smallest differences to help with their decision making so you can have the best outcome! Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Thank you for the question.  Although absolute breast symmetry is rarely achieved with breast surgery, improvement in breast  symmetry can be achieved with breast augmentation surgery.  Sometimes exactly how/where breast implant pockets are dissected and with careful selection of breast implants (sometimes different sizes or even profiles), improvement of breast asymmetry can be achieved. In other words, your breast asymmetry will not necessarily be "worse" after surgery.

Given your concerns, I would suggest that you spend additional time with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the day of surgery.  He/she will be less resource when it comes to information, advice, and/or meaningful predictions.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.