Do I need a rhinoplasty? (Photo)

I have a hump on my nose and i think my nose is long and large. What's your opinion?

Rhinoplasty Can Reshape Your Nose

Thanks for your question. Unless the structure of your nose is significantly affecting your breathing, you don't "need" a rhinoplasty. But if you're dissatisfied with the appearance of your nose, you may be a good candidate for the procedure. The surgery can reduce a nasal hump and also shorten the length of your nose. To learn more about your potential candidacy, I recommend seeing a board-certified plastic surgeon near you. 

Rhinoplasty to remove the large dorsal bump

The decision to proceed with a rhinoplasty procedure is a personal one, and only the patient can make that determination.  The dorsal bump is composed of both bone and cartilage which can be shaved down.  Osteotomies placed in the nasal bones will be required to close the open roof created from the bump removal.  Digital computer imaging also be helpful at the consultation and examination to an idea of what can be accomplished  with your nose on your facial features.  

Do I need a rhinoplasty?

No one "needs" a rhinoplasty. If you would like an improvement in the shape of your nose, it looks like a rhinoplasty may help. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Do I need a rhinoplasty?

No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about refining and improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose with an artistically performed natural appearing rhinoplasty and whether it would be worthwhile.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on a limited 2 dimensional photo without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (ENT) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Do I Need a Rhinoplasty?

NOBODY NEEDS A RHINOPLASTY. Having said that, if your nose is long and large as it appears to be in this one picture, a rhinoplasty by an experienced specialist can be done to reduce it and make it more proportional to your surrounding facial features.

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. You may also benefit from a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty

If you are not happy with your nose, then certainly a rhinoplasty can be offered to improve the dorsal hump and the overall appearance of your nose.

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photograph.

I recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty to have a nasal examination performed and a review of your medical history to see if you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty. Based on the photographs you have poste, I believe you would benefit from a hump reduction and tip rhinoplasty. A dorsal hump can be removed by cutting out the extra cartilage along with filing of the bone to smooth out the bump. A tip rhinoplasty includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Need a rhinoplasty?

You don't "need" a rhinoplasty.  However, if you don't like the shape of your nose and "want" improvement, then I recommend consulting with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to discuss your options.

Dr. Michael Epstein

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL