Follow-up Question: Having a bad chin/profile fixed.

I contacted some plastic surgeons and they told me that a) chin implants are usually preferred rathen than sliding geneoplasty(though of course they must see me first) and b) that hyaluronic acid can give you the same result with little risk. the only drawback is that you must have it repeated it frequently so the question is are a) and especially b) true??? hyaluronic acid is an implant of sorts right?(albeit non permanent) ideally i wish for a fashion model's great profile

Candidate for a Chin Augmenatation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision:
Candidates for Chin Augmentation -
Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation.

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using dermal fillers or chin implants for over 30 years. Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help with the evaluation. If the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty. I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone. HA dermal fillers are placed within the tissues of the chin and while quick, easy and highly effective when properly placed the results are temporary and must be maintained to achieve the desired chin shape and projection. Placing a chin implant on the bone provides a permanent enhancement.

Hope this helps.

Chin Augmentation

Injectable flllers are not an implant nor are they for long-term facial bone augmentation results. It is acceptable to use fillers for a test of chin augmentation but that is not a long solution. Also Injectable fillers may not produce the same effect as an actual implant.

Chin implant for bony augmentation

Fillers including hyaluronic acid are performed for soft tissue deficiencies, not a bony deficiency. Fillers do not work for  very well in the chin area. Chin implants are manufactured out of Silastic in a variety of sizes and shapes to augment the chin  area. The chin and the implants are both 3-dimensional structures, so it's important that the size and shape is determined at the time of the examination.  In our practice, chin implants are placed through a small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure. For many examples, more information and diagrams of the implants  themselves, please see the video and the link below