What can I do about my abnormal nose? (Photo)

It looks so far back from it's natural position. I find this tough to explain so I drew the lines in the pic. The green line is where most noses I see in profile pictures would look like. The top of the nose seems to start so much further back than the average nose. Is this a sign of a recessed maxilla? Is there any type of surgery that can fix this?

Doctor Answers 4

Need better photos

We need better photos to see exactly what your nose looks like.  You may want to consult local board certified plastic surgeons to get their opinion or provide us with clear photos (front, quarter turn and profile views).

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 60 reviews

Abnormal nose

In this photo you are drawing attention to a deep radix which often causes the illusion of a short or truncated nose. This can be corrected with radix augmentation. From this single photo you cannot say if that is exactly what you will need.

You need a full consultation to totally evaluate how your nose balances with the rest of you face and then a treatment plan can be made for you. Only then can you proceed with confidence.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

What do do about a recessed nose

Hello and tanks for your question. An in person consultation is obviously the best route to do with formal photographs and analysis. However in looking at your picture, at quick glance, it appears that what you really do not like is the protrusion of your forehead causing a deepened radix. There are a variety of procedures available to you and this discussion is made with a board certified specialist. Good Luck.

Giancarlo Zuliani, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 61 reviews

Nasal evaluation

Hello and thank you for your question. The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 131 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.