Sudden breast swelling

Hello I'm one week post op breast augmentation. I've been doing ok, but in the last 24 hours my right breasts swelling has increased dramatically and is rock hard and painful. I plan on calling the doctors office when it opens, but what could be going on? I'm scared.

Hematoma

Dear Itstime,                                                                                                                                         Front and side view pictures would have been helpful. Without pictures it is difficult to opine, however , the rapid increase in one breast's size associated with pain and hardening, means only one thing and that is hematoma. Since you posted your question 1 day earlier,  I hope that you already got hold of your surgeon and action is being taken . Hematoma has to be evacuated and bleeding stopped asap, in order to alleviate  the pain and the pressure that can cut the circulation and damage the nipple. Additionally, the blood clots have to be evacuated thoroughly , to avoid capsule contracture.                                                                        In my practice, all my patients get my cell phone number and can call me any time when problem arises. This is done , exactly, for situation like yours , where immediate  attention is needed.                            Best of luck,                                                        Dr Widder     

Sudden breast swelling

What you describe is not normal. Dramatic swelling on one side with firmness of the breast most likely indicates a hematoma or active bleeding.  It is usually associated with significantly more bruising on that side. The breast will normally swell after a breast augmentation, sometimes more on one side, however what you describe is more dramatic than I would expect.  See your surgeon as soon as possible. Best wishes to you!

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Sudden swelling

Without seeing you in person it is difficult to say. It could represent a hematoma or seroma. You are right to speak to your surgeon ASAP.

Post Op Swelling Concern

Extreme swelling and increased firmness/pain on one side could mean active bleeding inside. You should certainly be seen in person as soon as possible for assessment.
All the best

Swollen breast

You need to contact your surgeon today.  What you are describing could be a hematoma, which requires further action.  Best wishes.

Camille Cash, MD

Sudden breast swelling

Definitely contact your surgeon as this sudden increase in swelling could be due to the development of a hematoma (blood collection).  If so, it will need to be drained.

Naveen Setty, MD

Sudden breast swelling

Thank you for your question.  The most concerning development would be the formation of a hematoma within your implant pocket. You need to seek out your surgeon quickly and be evaluated as this is a surgical emergency.  

Breast Augmentation - Hematoma / Seroma Post Op

Thank you for your question.  This is very concerning for a development of a hematoma or seroma. Please see your board certified plastic surgeon today! Hope this helps and good luck.

Sudden breast swelling.

Hello and thank you for your question. From what you describe in your post it sounds like you may have developed a hematoma or seroma (accumulation of blood, fluids around implant). Immediate in-person exam by your plastic surgeon is recommended. That is the only way to know for sure what has happened over the last 24 hours and how to proceed with corrections. 
Best regards.

Traci Temmen, MD

Swelling

Just a week from surgery, you may have a collection of fluid, either blood or serous fluid, or even an infection. Please get in touch with your doctor as soon as possible. This fluid may need to be drained.