So many implant types. Need help choosing? (Photo)

I need help figuring out what kind of implants. I'm small framed 110lbs 5'4 and I guess thin skinned I'm told because my upper chest ribs show. I'm a barely 34a. I know I don't want the high round breasts and I'd like to stay on the smaller natural size. My doctor seems to think 275 silicone under muscle. I almost think 275 is too big. All the different kinds confuse me.. Moderate profile, gummy bear, I have no idea what they all mean. What's the most natural looking/feeling kind?

#Breastaugmentation #BreastAug #Implants #Breastimplants

Thanks for your question on which implant size would be best for you. Since there is no way to say definitively over the internet which size would be optimal for you, take comfort in the fact that the surgeon uses your unique measurements and is able to provide you with a general range.  In many cases the board certified plastic surgeon can best be your guide as they’ve met with you in person and heard your aesthetic goals. You may consider doing 3-D imaging; however with nearly all the breast cases we’ve performed, we’ve found patients enjoy doing a live “try on” session where they actually can “try on” the implant in a non-padded bra in our office.  This does not give an exact measurement of outcome, rather it gives a nice idea of what to expect. For patients who desire a more natural look we like to recommend the shaped implant.  For patients who desire a more full, voluptuous look we recommend a higher profile implant. And remember that all breasts have at least some amount of asymmetry (we like to say they’re like sisters and not twins).  My very best to you. –Brian Coan, MD, FACS

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breasts augmentation with implants and mini lift

Dear  madam,
  Thanks for submitting your picture. Side view picture would have been very helpful.
 From observing your picture, you appear to be A cup size  with level 2 (moderate) ptosis and large areolas.
 Before discussing the implant type issue, let me strongly suggest to you that you need also a lift procedure and at a minimum , a mini lift (donut, Benelli) is required if you want to avoid the full lift(key hole) scars. This opinion is based on 29 years of practice and thousands of breasts augmentation patients.
   As far as implant type, I use almost exclusively smooth, round moderate profile saline implants for the following reasons:
 1. Cost $1000 less than silicone implants.
 2. Implants are inserted through small small sub areola incision which is scar friendly, while silicone implants have to be inserted through long and scar unfriendly incision in the sub mammary fold.
 3. The sub areola incision allows for consistently creating nice cleavage under direct vision and feel, while the sub mammary incision is too far.
 4. Silicone implants are associated with higher possibility of capsule contracture.
 5. If leakage or rapture of implant occurs , replacing of saline implant is simple and can be done under local anesthesia, where as silicone implant is more complex and requires general anesthesia for patient;s comfort.
  As far as you implants size and breasts size, a C cup size will look very natural on you. To become 34 C cup size, you will need implants with volume of 300 cc. For 34 full B cup size - 225 cc.
  You have to realize that not all results are the same, because experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good and safe outcome. So, do your due diligence carefully and choose wisely.
  Always, consult with experience board certified plastic surgeons who do lots of breasts augmentation with mini lift in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with nice cleavage, perky, symmetrical and natural looking.
                               Dr Widder

Implant choice

Choosing the right implant for a patient requires an in office evaluation.  Everyone's anatomy is different and their goals are often different. Hard to say from just a photo.

Types of Implants

Thank you for your question. Each patient has their own preferences and results looking to be achieved so it is important that the right implant be selected. 

I always recommend patients bring in "wish pictures" of the desired results and then discuss how we can best achieve. Instead of focusing on the type of implant, decide the look you would like and convey that to your surgeon. Best of luck.

Alfred Sofer, MD, FACS
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Implant choice

You are correct, there are many different styles, shapes, sizes, and brands.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Best wishes!
Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello. Thank your for your question in regard breast augmentation.
It is important when considering a breast augmentation to have a clear communication with your plastic surgeon in regarding your goals.There is a combination of methods that use as surgeons tried to which desired look.Some of these methods include plead examination, breast diameter measurements and nipple to inframammary fold measurements, the dimensional computer systems and implant sizers.
Your PS should have discussed the pros and cons of the different implants. There are many sizes that would look great on you and you should work closely with your PS to find the ideal size.
In your specific case I WOULD FAVOR a dual plane method. It is obvious based on this forum that plastic surgeons will have different answers for you. It is important that you discuss the pros and cons with your plastic surgeon to determine the best position.
In terms of what type of implant to choose there are several studies showing that is very unlikely that he would notice as significant difference for your specific case when comparing around versus anatomical implants.  In other words to have an of tissue to cover the implant that it will be difficult for you to notice a difference in

The incisions of the Dual Plane breast augmentation surgery include:

Decrease Risk of Capsular Contracture- due to the submuscular position of the implants
More natural appearance
Once small, inconspicuous exterior incision
More natural movement as you walk.

Best of luck of your surgery !

Implant Type & Size Suitable for Your Body and Frame

Each implant have their benefits. #SalineImplants is made with a #silicone outer shell that is filled with saline water during the surgery. It is filled with sterile saline (salt-water). Since saline is like normal body fluid, it is safe and easily absorbed if the implants were to leakThe #implant shell is ordered in a specified size which can be filled to a minimum or maximum fill amount. This allows the plastic surgeon some flexibility with sizing during surgery. Often times a woman has breasts which vary slightly in size. If one breast is slightly smaller than the other, each implant can be filled to a different amount to create better symmetry. Saline tends to be a little less natural feeling than silicone, but it can also create a more dramatic upper breast appearance, which some women prefer. A new saline breast implants option called Ideal Implant™ was recently FDA approved and was created for women who are not comfortable having silicone implants in their body, but desire a more natural feeling implant than traditional saline implants on the market. The unique structure of the Ideal Implant allows for a similar look and feel as silicone with the safety of saline.
#SiliconeImplants are made with a silicone outer shell and are filled with a gummy-bear consistency silicone on the inside. More women tend to choose silicone breast implants due to the natural feel and appearance. Silicone implants are now made of a cohesive gel which are anti-leak even when cut. Look and feel like natural breasts due to the cohesive silicone gel material. New generation silicone gel implants are far superior than those used in the past and have a proven track record of safety. Silicone implants have gone through more testing than any other medical device and are the preferred choice for over the muscle implant placement. To further ensure the safety, the FDA recommends women have periodic MRI testing to ensure their silicone implants are free from any defects.

Factors which contribute to the outcome of Breast Augmentation are #size, #shape, and #profile. The #profile is determined by the amount of #projection versus roundness that the you desire, as well as the #size of the implant and size of your chest. Also, the placement or incision location will also have an effect on profile.
This may also provide some insight. If a woman wears a size 36 AB bra and would like to be a C cup, which is the average size that women wear and the average size bra that is sold, she needs a volume of approximately 350 to 390 cc to make that change. This becomes less if she's wearing a 34 bra, because it has a smaller strap size and the cups have a smaller diameter. A smaller diameter implant would then be a volume of approximately 300 to 350 cc. In the same way if she was more petite, maybe a double zero or size one and wore a 32 AB bra, then to become a 32C cup she would only require about 250 to 300 cc. The profile is determined by the amount of projection versus roundness that the you desire, as well as the size of the implant and size of your chest.

As much as it's important to know what size bra you currently wear, the strap size is important to know as well. It affects the diameter of the cup and subsequently the diameter of the #breast implant that you choose. In my practice, about 15-20% of the patients are good candidates for silicone #shapedimplants.
#Subpectoral or #submuscular implants refer to placement under the muscle which still remains the most common placement in the United States. #Submammary or #subglandular implants are the placement under the breast tissue in front of the muscle. This tends to more common in Europe and South America. General guidelines suggest that women with larger drooping (ptosis) breasts that do not want a breast lift often have the implant placed above the muscle, although another option, #DualPlane, has become more popular. In the Dual Plane method, the implant is placed under the pectoralis muscle but the breast tissue is also release, in part, from the muscle. Those patients with minimal breast tissue should usually have the implant placed beneath the pectoralis muscle for more soft tissue padding.
Your Plastic Surgeon will measure you to determine the best shape, size and placement of the #implants to be used. Lastly, another important element to a satisfying result of your #augmentation is realistic #expectations.

Leave it to your doctor

You shouldn't be trying to choose your implant any more than trying to choose the suture for your heart transplant. A better idea is to show photos of what you consider attractive and asking your doctor if it is possible to obtain that look. 

So many implant types

Thank you for you question.  You are right there are a lot of different types of implants, different styles, different profiles.  It is a lot of information to take in and a hard decision to make on your own.  Without an in-person consultation I cannot tell you which would be best for you.  

I would suggest having a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in order to discuss your options and decide what is best you with the results you are looking for and your body type.

If you would like more information regarding breast augmentation, you can download a free copy of my Breast Augmentation Planner at

Best of luck to you!

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

So many implant types. Need help choosing?

• Good questions. Much of the final look and feel achieved after breast augmentation surgery depends on several factors:
  • 1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal. In your case, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice out, with a well executed breast augmentation procedure.
  • I think it is in the best interests of most patients seeking breast augmentation surgery to have implants placed in the “dual plane” or sub muscular position. This positioning allows for more complete coverage of the breast implants leading to generally more natural feel/look of the implants in the long-term. This position will also decrease the potential for rippling and/or palpability of the implants (which may increase with time, weight loss, and/or post-pregnancy changes).
  • The submuscular positioning also tends to interfere with mammography less so than breast implants in the sub glandular position. The incidence of breast implant encapsulation (capsular contraction) is also decreased with implants placed in the sub muscular position.
  • On the other hand, sub glandular breast implant positioning does not have the potential downside of “animation deformity” ( movement/ distortion of the breast implants seen with flexion of the pectoralis major muscle) they can be seen with breast implants placed in these sub muscular position.
  • 2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing long-term well-placed breast implants. Careful measurements (dimensional planning) and careful selection of breast implant size/profile are part of the surgeon's responsibilities.
  • I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone) or model (low/moderate/high profile) of implant.
  • 3. The type of implant used may determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. In other words, if a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
  • 4. The size and model of breast implant used may make a significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C or D cup” etc.
  • Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.
  • I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast augmentation concerns), helps. Best wishes.