Rhinoplasty and Buccal Fat Removal (Photo)

My face has always had a little extra fat on the cheeks so I wanted to see what procedures would be best suited for me to slim down and tone my face. I've attached a photo of a face structure I would like to achieve. Thank You!

Facial sculpting

Somehow your picture did not come through. My preferred facial sculpting procedure is lipo-sculpting with very small canulas. This is dependent on good  skin elasticity and therefore does not work as well with aging, thinning of sun-damaged skin. If you are lounger and take good care of your skin this would be my recommendation. Buccal fat pad removal is subtle and moderately successful.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

drraine.com

Rhinoplasty and Buccal Lipectomies

To best answer your question about the benefits of these two facial surgeries, you need to submit more than one picture. Pictures from different angles are needed to make a full assessment. The question is not whether a rhinoplasty would be beneficial but whether a buccal fat removal can achieve a true facial slimming effect.

Tip rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from cheek augmentation procedure, but an in-person examination is needed to make advice on this.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty and Buccal Fat Removal

I',m sorry but it is impossible to make any constructive suggestions after looking at the pictures you submitted. I need to see a full set of pictures as described on my website for nasal evaluation.

Rhinoplasty and Buccal Fat Removal

It is difficult to fully assess your nose from these views as a side profile is very helpful. Based on this limited evaluation, it appears some thinning of the tip and perhaps added projection/rotation is all that is needed. Buccal fat extraction must be accomplished with caution and is generally a very subtle improvement. See the Wikipedia example below (a patient of mine).

Rhinoplasty and Buccal Fat Removal

You may be a candidate for rhinoplasty and buccal fat removal.  Specific recommendations can't be made based on only one picture, however.  I recommend you consult with a local plastic surgeon who can evaluate you, discuss your goals, and come up with a good plan for you to achieve them.  Some surgeons offer computer simulation to visualize a realistic postoperative appearance following rhinoplasty, which you may find helpful (we have the Vectra system).

Dr. Michael Epstein

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL