Nose bridge really wide after rhinoplasty. Should I be worried?

I underwent rhinoplasty about six days ago and got the splint removed. My first reaction was wondering why I did this because my nose looked like one of the who characters from The grinch. the nasal bridge is really wide and the tip is projected up. I don't know if its swelling around the bridge of the eyes but it just looks like a cartoon. Should I be worried and will my nose return to somewhat normal. Thank You

Rhinoplasty

It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have so they can give you a physical examination. You are extremely early in your recovery period and your nose will begin healing and changing, this will continue over the course of a year to year and a half. Swelling can cause the appearance of enlargement or a turned up nasal tip. It takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. If after 12-18 months, you are still unhappy with your results, I would contact your surgeon or a board certified plastic surgeon for a revision.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  It is far too soon to make real judgements about the shape.  There are so many factors that go into how much swelling you have and how long it will last.  Stay with your surgeon through the recovery process and I expect you will notice nice changes in the near future, but understand that swelling after rhinoplasty can last many months.  Best of luck.

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, MS, FACS

Wirth Plastic Surgery

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Post Rhinoplasty Concerns

Dear jdevired1234, You are early in the recovery phase and I would suggest speaking with your surgeon regarding your concerns. Your surgeon knows best what your proposed results were and what techniques were used during your surgery as well as where you are in the recovery phase. Most patients are very excited at the day of their splint removal. This is typically a great time of joy for both the surgeon and patient alike. Since you are not feeling that way then I am sure your surgeon would want to have an open conversation with you to help put your mind at ease. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

1 week post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

It's too early to make value judgments with only 1 week after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Swelling

You are likely very swollen. Best to give it time to settle down.  Best of luck. If you are concerned you should talk to your surgeon.

As with all surgery, expect some swelling and bruising after rhinoplasty. It takes at least 3 to 6 months for things to look normal. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Too soon to judge results

It is way, way too soon to judge your results. It can take anywhere from 6 months to a year for the swelling to fully subside. Your nose will continue to grow and shrink, changing shape and size depending on internal swelling. Be patient and kind to yourself as your body recovers. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon