Would abdominoplasty or abdominal liposuction? A plastic surgeon said Lipo is a waste of my money. No elasticity? (Photo)

Which procedure would offer me the most benefits? How long would each procedure be? Would I be wasting my money as a plastic surgeon suggested, by opting the liposuction? Would I have a layer of flab like he said? Could the hypertrophic scar be addressed at the same time? I have had several surgeries over a period of 42 years. What effect would the spinal decompression at L5/S1, the Colectomy, the Caesarean delivery, and hysterectomy surgery with no complications, affect the outcome? The risks?

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a better candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Would abdominoplasty or abdominal liposuction? A plastic surgeon said Lipo is a waste of my money. No elasticity?

If you are medically fit for surgery and at a safe weight, I think that a tummy tuck would be a more suitable operation based upon the pictures presented.

Lateral Tension Abdominoplasty Tummy Tuck with Liposuction

Thank you for your question and for posting pictures. You seem to be a good candidate for a combination procedure of tummy tuck and liposuction. This combo will help give you a flat tummy, address your scar, remove loose skin and contour your waistline. You need to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for precise recommendations. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS