If you have a upper abdomen tattoo can a tummy tuck disfigure the tattoo?

I want to get a BBL , and Liposuction but most doctors I contacted recommended a tummy tuck. I've always been hesitant bc I have a upper abdominal tattoo that can possibly be disfigured after the tummy tuck So my question is .. will my tattoo be completely gone or disfigured?

Tattoo issue and tummy tuck

It depends where your tattoo is. If when the upper abdominal flap is pulled down, the tattoo might fall within the area of the umbilicus.  Hard to say without photos.

Tummy tuck and upper abdomen tattoo

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

If your tattoo is above your belly button, a tummy tuck will not remove the tattoo but will stretch the skin and the lower end of the tattoo will end up near the pubis - with a new opening for the belly button made in the middle of it. Before not having the tummy tuck you need, see a surgeon you can trust and ask her/him to show you exactly what will happen. You may find you can live with it.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Thank you for your question. I can not answer your question it would be best if you can post some photos to see and evaluate.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo after a tummy tuck

Thank you for the question. It is rather difficult to fully evaluate your situation without an in-person exam and in the absence of photos. The answer will ultimately depend on the amount of fat and skin to be addressed by the procedure. In some cases, your tattoo can be stretched or pulled down.  Remember that an in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your needs and guarantee a reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi. 

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Effect of abdominoplasty on tattoo

Please post a photo. In all likelihood, the surgery will result in stretching out of the tattoo so there is a trade off.  You could certainly inquire about revision of the artwork following surgery.

Tummy tuck and tattoo

Depending on the location of the tattoo there could be minimal change or significant change following a tummy tuck.  If the tattoo is near the belly button a portion of all of the tattoo might be removed as part of the procedure.  If the tattoo is near the ribs it may be stretched with the downward pull of the abdominal skin on closure of the tummy tuck incision.  The plastic surgeons you've seen, after an in person examination, should be able to easily answer if the tattoo will be in the resection specimen of where the estimated position of the tatto might be after surgery.  If multiple board certified plastic surgeons have advised tummy tuck then it is likely they do not believe your skin will retract addequately with only liposuction.

Best Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

Abdominal tattoo and a tummy tuck

An abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) involves making an incision on the lowest part of your abdomen (similar to a C-section scar) that extends out from hip to hip.  The skin and fat are then lifted up off of the muscles and pulled down to achieve tightening.  In a full abdominoplasty, an incision is also made around your belly button so that it can be kept in the same position but brought out through the newly tightened skin.

An abdominoplasty is totally different that a BBL (which improves the contour and fullness of your buttocks but doesn't address your stomach at all) and liposuction, which is used to address extra fat but doesn't tighten skin.

The location of your tattoo will determine how affected it is by an abdominoplasty.  From your description, the tattoo is on the upper abdomen.  Because the skin will be pulled tightly down, this may cause the tattoo to appear stretched or elongated in an up-down direction.  The tattoo will end up lower than it currently is because all of the skin is pulled down.  Without seeing a photo, it is hard to determine how much this will alter and impact the aesthetics of the tattoo.  The best thing would be to speak to a surgeon for a personal assessment and a frank discussion about the impact on the tattoo.  Good luck!

Tattoo / Abdominoplasty

Thank you for your question. Photos would help us to advise you. The chances are good that the tattoo will be stretched. The type of Abdominoplasty, mini vs full, as well as the exact placement of the tattoo will affect your outcome. I recommend that you discuss this in person with your Plastic Surgeon.

All the best

We would have to see a picture to answer that question...

....there are tattoos and then there are TATTOOS.  Take a picture and then we should be able to answer better.  No matter what, the tattoo will become stretched and moved down. 

-JGH

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. It really depends on the exact location of your tattoo.  The best advice you can receive would come from an in-person consultation.  If you are an appropriate candidate, a tummy tuck can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  The belly button can be designed to look natural and have no scars on the exterior.   Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD