Should I go through with a tummy tuck or will I be able to repair my skin? (photos)

My previous two cesarean scars are below my under wear. I don't see it being physically possible to stretch that low, when the only damaged skin is in my mid section.

Tummy Tuck Procedure Options

Hello and thank you for your question. I would have to say that I agree with my colleagues in the lack of possibility that a complete skin recovery would be gained by exercise, diet or other self-initiated actions. There are various procedures that can help with all of this, and luckily some of them are quite simple and easy to heal from.A variety of tummy tucks are available. Patients who only need a tightening of the abdominal muscles or removal of a small amount of skin may be best treated with a “mini-tuck.” Patients who have undergone massive weight loss, on the other hand, will probably require more extensive surgery. An abdominoplasty is usually done under general anesthesia. An incision is made along the lower abdomen at about the pubic hair line, and another incision is made around the belly button which stays attached to the muscle. Mini-abdominoplasty tightens the lower abdominal wall and skin below the umbilicus, belly button, only (shortest scar). Modified abdominoplasty addresses conditions where just the muscle wall or just the abdominal skin requires repair. Standard abdominoplasty tightens all of the abdominal wall skin and muscles above and below the belly button. The scar can be altered or lowered to be hidden by most panty lines and bathing suits. (Standard scar). Extended abdominoplasty tightens the abdomen and the flanks or sides (longest scar extending around the flanks onto lower back.) A general anesthetic is most common, although mini-tucks may be done with local anesthetic and intravenous sedation. A standard abdominoplasty is generally an outpatient procedure, but extended abdominoplasty may require a short hospitalization of 1–2 days.

Tummy tuck after pregnancies

Thank you for your question and photographs.It is important when looking for a plastic surgeon for a tummy tuck that you find one who is board certified to obtain the best results possible. From the photos you have posted and your pregnancy history, you do look like a candidate for a tummy tuck to correct the loose skin and tighten the abdominal wall. During pregnancy, the diastasis muscle stretches out along with some weight gain. When I perform a tummy tuck, I tighten the diastasis rectus muscle which brings in the waist. I think you would be happy with the results from a full tummy tuck. If you are worried about the scar associated with a full tummy tuck, there are topical scar creams as well as laser treatments that can diminish the look of the scar and make it finer and less noticible. I hope this helps!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Excess belly skin

having children are great. However they do a number to the women's body. Unfortunately you have both excess skin and muscle separation. Both of those will never go away with exercise. I'm sorry to say that. You are very healthy and in shape so congrats on that. You are a great candidate for a tummy tuck and muscle tightening and you will do amazing! Best wishes.

Should I consider a #tummytuck #plasticsurgery?

Hi J Joseph, Thank you for your excellent question.  Without the benefit of an in person exam it's impossible to say for sure, however it appears you may benefit from a tummy tuck procedure.  Best to consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in person, preferably one who has these credentials:*Board Certified by the
American Board of Plastic Surgery - the gold star symbol
*A member of the ASPS (American Society of
Plastic Surgeons) - the circle symbol
*A member of the ASAPS (American Society of
Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) - the Queen Nefertiti symbol with a Triangle  I hope this is helpful and wish you all the very best. Kind regards, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS   CARE Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Should I go through with a tummy tuck or will I be able to repair my skin

There is nothing you can do to tighten the skin on your abdomen. It will require surgery to remove the excess skin I am afraid.

Julio Garcia, MD

You would do best with tummy tuck- fixes your muscles, belly button hernia and removes excess skin

It is really hard to give advice without examining patients with regards to abdominoplasties and the many permutations and “versions” of them that get offered to patients.  Briefly, if you have excess skin or laxity in your skin and fat, removal of that tissue would be of benefit.  If your muscle contour is not what it used to be or it not optimal, a procedure to tighten your “core” may be necessary.  This is especially important in the post-pregnancy population as during your pregnancy, your muscles were forced to adapt to a growing baby inside.  Most times, those muscles don’t  go exactly back to where they were before.  Some come back really darn close, but rarely to their exact pre-pregnancy position.  If you don’t have the musculature issues addressed, and you only have the skin and subcutaneous tissues removed, your contour will not be optimal and I believe you will be dissatisfied with your results.  It’s paramount to fix the foundation (the musculature) before building the house. The next question to address is what to do with your belly button.  Depending on the amount of upper abdominal laxity, you may have your belly button brought through a new place in your skin (belly button stays where it is on your abdominal wall, but by stretching skin downwards, it needs to come out in a new place or it would look tethered and not natural) or you  may need to leave it where it is or potentially “float” it down the abdominal wall an inch or two (it actually ends up being lower on your torso than where it started).  Decisions about pre-surgery position of your belly button and tradeoffs between potential scar placement vs. keeping your belly button in a naturally-appearing position are used to determine that.  As you can see, there are lots to consider when discussing abdominoplasties.  You really need to discuss all of these issues with a board certified plastic surgeon and see pictures of their results. Who cares if someone does “drainless tummy tucks” if their results do not look great.  Likewise, tummy tucks that are done overly tight do not look natural and defeat the purpose of having your abdomen rejuvenated in the first place.  What good is getting a tummy tuck if you aren’t excited to show it off?  Hope this helps! -JGH