My surgeon recommended 520 or 600cc implants. Is that too big in your opinion for my frame? (Photos)

I had a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in my area. They have the vectra immaging system. They placed 600 and 520cc on the image. I've read a lot about sizing and the bigger an implant is the higher likelihood of having complications. He said because of my frame, it would best suit me. What are your opinions? Thanks in advance.

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Implant size

Hello and thank you for posting photos along with your question. I think the best way to pick implant volume is by trying on implants and by looking at your chest measurements. The only way to really come up with an appropriate surgical plan is by evaluating you in person.  Its great that you are being seen by a board certified plastic surgeon but you may want to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion in order to feel more comfortable with your final decision. I wish you the best of luck!

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Implant volume

To get a good idea about whether or not those implants are right for you, you can do a baggy test. Best of luck.

Is that too big in my opinion?

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

Implant size

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon. 

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Even with Vectra 3D imaging, it's still best when planning breast augmentation to have an implant placed that is just smaller than the natural base width which will make for a better looking and longer lasting result. Keep in mind that when the crease needs to be lowered in order to accommodate a larger implant, there is a greater likelihood for a bottomed out appearance. Without seeing your exact chest wall measurements it's hard to tell you what the maximum size would be given that there are so many other variables. In my experience of 25 years of breast implants, smaller implants tend to fare better for longer periods of time. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

520 or 600cc implants. Is that too big in your opinion for my frame?

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: Your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. or the type of implant. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing suit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant. Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon becertified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. Robert Singer, MD FACS La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question and photos. 

This question is best answered in the office, where you can be measured and examined. Generally, it is also best to have the opportunity to try on several sizers to see how the implants fit your frame. Despite the computerized modelling, it's still just an estimate. I also suggest to patients that they bring "wish" photos with them. It helps the doctor better understand what ultimately you are hoping to achieve. 

I would suggest doing the rice test at home. 

Take a pair of nylons, fill each with dry rice ( 1 ounce = approx 30 cc ) and wear that inside your bra for a day. It will give you a good idea of how much added volume will make you feel. That way you can confirm if this size is really something you want to have. 

Furthermore, you should clarify with the doctor what type of profile: high, modplus, or low profile type you were considering. 

You should have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons before making any final decisions. 

As always, best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health concerns you have are managed by your primary care md. 

Best to you.

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your question.

Those are large implants. Without knowing your height and weight, or seeing you in person, it is difficult to render a specific opinion.

Volume (300 versus 400), is far less significant than implant width and projection. Saline versus silicone is also important, as is "round" versus "anatomical" or "form stable" or "shaped". It is very important that you select an experienced board certified plastic surgeon whose aesthetics align with your own, and with whom you feel comfortable. Don't be reluctant to seek a second or even third opinion to be sure and feel confident. Make sure that your surgeon sees photographs of your "favorites" or ideal. Expressing your desired cup size is notoriously inaccurate, and final breast size is the most common reason for patient disappointment after breast augmentation, either too big or not big enough.

Take your time, do your research. Best of luck to you.

Ram Kalus MD

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Best breast for me?

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.  

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.